Finding Miami’s Fratstars

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami chapter.

You’ve seen them around. With their boisterous personality and sometimes irresistible charm, it’s hard not to notice them.  They’re the ones who can be seen dominating the loudest conversations taking place at The Rat. They’re always sporting some kind of Greek letters and always have that tell-tale smile that lets the world know they’ve got it going on. They are UMiami’s fratstars. By definition a fratstar can be described as “the cream of the crop in terms of college life.”  He is the superior male. Fratstars differ depending on the university, with the most stereotypical fratstars residing in the more Southern colleges. At times it can be difficult to distinguish true fratstars, but lucky for all of you, a few notorious ones agreed to sit down with me and answer a few questions regarding their frattiness.

What is your definition of a Fratstar?
D: A fratstar has got to be gentlemen. He’s got to do well in life. Being a fratstar means that when you look at the other person next to you, you know you are better than them.
  J: A man who exudes all qualities of principle and chivalry, while maintaining a highly prestigious social persona.
M: One whom GDI’s can only dream of being. One that is the life of the party.
N:  I’d say someone within an organization who is the face of a fraternity. A person that lives on a day to day basis for that fraternity. He attends every event and goes hard for everything, whether its sports related or a party. He is a really well-rounded person and is someone who is respected in his fraternity and other fraternities as well. He is the guy that other fraternity men wish they had in their fraternity.

What is typical attire for you?
D: Polo from my head to my toes, literally. I usually rock a polo, and Sperries.
J: Clothes. Sometimes.
M:Some pastel or bright colored shorts, Sperries, a nice polo or shirt with some shades and croakies.
N: Anything that’s comfortable. We go to UMiami so I feel like a Fratstar’s attire is somewhat unique here. A lot of comfort goes into my attire. I usually wear swim trunks and some kind of tank. But all in all, I always make sure to look very presentable.

On average how many girls do you pull during the course of week?
D: I usually pull five a week.
J: 2.6
M: Ask my brothers how many times they applaud the walk of shame each week and you’ll have your answer.

How many formals/semis/date functions are you invited to over the course of the school year?
D: I’d just like to start off by saying a true fratstar knows when he is being invited to said functions. As for myself, this semester I’ve been invited to four.
J: I’ve only been here for a year and I’ve been invited to six.
M: 15 over the course of the whole school year.
N: I get invited to enough. But a fratstar should be invited to every single event. At least one girl in every sorority should want you at her event and that’s the bare minimum.

Sorostitute or GDI and why?
D: Sorostitute because they’re obviously better.
J: I don’t mess with sorostitutes; I only mess with classy sorority ladies. It doesn’t matter what their affiliation is, as long as they are classy and down to earth.
M: Sorostitute. The only work required is being able to say my name.

Can anyone be a fratstar?
D: No. You are born with it; it’s innate. 
J: Any boy can be a fratstar but they have to have the right qualities, otherwise they are just some kid in a fraternity who is looking up to me or any other fratstar that’s pulling 2.6 a week
M: Can anyone be God? Everyone should be thankful for being in my presence.
N: Absolutely not. A lot of men can strive to become a Fratstar but wanting to be a Fratstar and actually being one are two different things. 

Any final comments?
J: Follow me on twitter @jfern #verifyjfern
M: I look forward to you working for me one day.

If you’re somewhat put off by some of these answers, then they have done their job. A true fratstar doesn’t care about what you think because he knows the next five people behind you will marvel at him, not to mention the fact that his fraternity gets a whole new batch of pledges every semester that not only verify his ego but help it grow.  Although fratstars make excellent friends, most of them are all about getting their number up and doing so proudly. Don’t get me wrong though, one of our fratstars has changed the typical image and is currently maintaining a relationship with a lucky sorority lady. So ladies, what have we learned from chatting with these fratstars? Approach a fratstar with caution, mind his ego and don’t be offended if he’s more about talking about himself rather than listening to you. 

Jackie Salo is a freshman at the University of Miami School of Communication. Currently, she writes for The Miami Hurricane. In high school, she was the Editor-in-Chief of the school newspaper The Courant. The paper won various awards such as the 2009 American Scholastic Press Association's Best Newspaper First Place with Special Merit award, the only paper in the Northeast to do so. Jackie has had work published in The Long Island Press, and Boating Times Long Island where she interned. She was the Quill Awards Most Outstanding Journalist of the Year and was the only high school student to be recognized by News Channel 12 for High School Journalist of the Year.