Cheap Valentine’s Day Gifts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami chapter.

Uh Oh! Valentine’s Day is just around the corner and you have no money and no clue what to get your significant other! Well you are not alone. Most college students are busy with exams, papers and readings. On top of that, many are severely lacking in finances. So here’s a list of ten ideas for inexpensive, yet thoughtful gifts for your Valentine.

“Open Me When” cards
All this takes is a trip to your local Target or CVS. Simply buy a package of blank greeting cards and write a note for a different situation on each one. For example, you could make an “Open me when you feel lonely” card and write a sweet note reminding your SO of how much you care about them. Here’s a link to a bunch more ideas.

Personalized keychain
Zazzle makes personal key chains for around $4.00.  Attach them to your SO’s car or house keys for a cute reminder of your affection for him or her.

Personalized T-Shirts
These make great gifts for any occasion, but they are especially great for Valentine’s Day! V-Day is a great time to order a jersey featuring your significant other’s name, favorite sports team and number. If that doesn’t tickle your fancy, a simple shirt quoting an inside joke or with a date that means something to you both will also do the trick. These only cost roughly $15 from Etsy!

Date Jar
Decorate a mason jar or a small box with love and give it to your SO. Then together, fill it out with date ideas written on popsicle sticks. Promise each other that once a week or month (depending on money and time), you’ll pick a popsicle stick and do whatever it says. This shows you want to spend time together and you care about building and strengthening your relationship.

Love Notes
Put notes around your SO’s house and/or car saying how much he or she means to you.

Scavenger Hunt
If your Valentine is someone who enjoys solving mysteries, create a scavenger hunt that leads to all the places you and your person have shared memories. Have it end with him or her showing up to you in either the place you had your first date or you with a romantic dinner/picnic set up.

Personalized Puzzle
Puzzling is a calming activity for many – if your Valentine shares that hobby, then ordering a personalized puzzle will go a long way! Order one featuring a photo of the two of you, his or her pet or anything else that will make your love smile. Shutterfly sells 252 piece personalized puzzles starting at $30! Find them here. 

Breakfast in Bed/Coffee for class
These are pretty self-explanatory.  Make your man breakfast in bed or bring your girl Starbucks to her earliest class that week – these simple gestures shows commitment and love without spending a fortune!

Order them a pizza
Most of us are busy with school and/or work stuff that may not be able to wait until after V-Day, so an inexpensive way to show your appreciation for your someone special, would be to order them a pizza (or their favorite to-go food) when they are studying and don’t have time to go out. Buying them dinner shows that you understand they are stressed and lacking time. They will love it!

A Classic Mix-Tape
Granted, most people don’t have a tape player, so a playlist will do! Put together a playlist of you and your honey’s favorite songs; romantic or otherwise. Songs that the two of you love to listen to together – ones that make you laugh, that make you dance, that you’ve made out to, etc. This is free, or nearly so, and takes less than 20 minutes, yet it highlights that you remember moments the two of you have shared and shows your love that they are special to you.

Image credit: cover, 1, 2, 3, 4

Senior Musical Theatre major, Texas girl, soon-to-be Mrs., loves all things carbs, coffee, and fluffy