9 Costume Party Do’s and Dont’s

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami chapter.

With Halloween fast approaching, lists of costume and party ideas have already started clouding newsfeeds and event invites. I’m all for using this magical day as an excuse to show skin and dress up as the craziest thing you’ve ever dreamt of being, but there is a certain way to go about it that allows you to look sexy yet remain classy.

1. DO wear those painfully high heels – as long as you can walk in them.Those gorgeous peep-toes you got on sale last week are perfect with your costume – wear the shit out of them, but be sure you can walk in them. You don’t want to risk looking drunker than you actually are, or worse, falling in front of that cute guy in your chem class. There is no reason why a woman should be afraid to wear high heels of any height on this sacred day. Certain occasions require a more professional heel height, but a Halloween party isn’t one of them. A girl can look both sexy and classy in four, five or even six inch heels; it’s the way she carries herself that matters.

2. DON’T make fun of other girls’ costumes, especially in public!It is a cardinal sin of girl code to mock another goddess for her choice of attire. Sure, you may not approve of her showing up in pasty’s and bikini bottoms, but that is her choice to make. Choose to highlight your own awesomeness rather than criticize other girl’s outfits. By bringing down other ladies, not only do you come off in a bad light, you ruin that Halloween thrill of getting to dress however you want without the fear of judgement! Let’s keep this proud tradition alive and well.

3. Speaking of pasties…DON’T show up in nothing but pasties!I’m a strong supporter of body autonomy and self-expression, but I didn’t spend weeks finding the perfect outfit and hours getting ready for my hot date just for him to spend the whole night staring at your bare breasts. Unless you’re using them as a beer pong strategy, put the twins away. Throw that adorable crop top or bandeau over those bad boys and live your life.

4. DO put on as much or as little makeup as your heart desires.If your costume calls for a makeover, then by all means spend time perfecting those sexy kitty whiskers and stunning winged eyeliner. If your costume is a bare-faced beach babe, then throw on that bikini and go surfing, girl. Don’t wear makeup because people think you should. If you aren’t comfortable or don’t want to wear makeup, don’t. You’re going out to have fun and there’s no reason you should have to do anything to hinder that!

5. DO bring extra makeup for touch-ups if you choose to wear makeup.I don’t know about you, but within a couple of hours of going out my face looks nothing like the masterpiece I put together in my bedroom. It starts creeping closer to “Chucky” rather than “sexy bunny” after a while. Throw foundation, setting powder, eyeliner, lipstick or whatever else you may need in your purse before heading out. You’ll be glad you have these tools when drunk-you stumbles into the bathroom and realizes her face melted off.

6. DON’T agree to a group costume unless you are 100 percent committed to it.It’s always a let down when only three of the four Beatles show up. Don’t promise you’ll be Scary Spice and then back out at the last minute. Doing this leaves everyone else in the group in a situation where they’ll either have to bribe someone to replace you, or they’ll have to go out with an incomplete group costume. But f you’re committed, group costumes can be a blast and even the hit of the party.

7. DON’T buy your costume from a sketchy source.While buying online can be more convenient and less expensive than buying in stores, purchasing your costume from a site you aren’t familiar with can lead to the shipment being late or even not arriving at all. I’ve heard horror stories of people ordering costumes from sellers that claim their order will arrive by October 15 and actually arrive two weeks after Halloween. There are also a lot of people on the internet looking to scam you, so proceed with caution when choosing a website. That being said, there are plenty of reliable online websites that have a way better selection than Party City, you just have to be willing to find them!

8. DO bring a jacket of some sort (ideally one that matches your costume).October is usually the month when fall really starts to bite, so a sweater is a must-have if you’re doing any sort of party or bar hopping. If you’re visiting friends in the South, a light jacket will do the trick, but if you’re anywhere North of the Mason-Dixon Line, you better be packing a parka. It’s always better to throw on a jacket and risk losing a little of the costumes luster than to go bare-back and get sick.

9. DO remember to have a blast.College goes by fast, so make the most of it. Remember to take pictures, make mistakes and stay safe. There is so much worth experiencing, don’t let stupid mistakes ruin your night or your life. Costume parties allow us to be whoever we want to be for a night, so why not make the absolute most of it?

Image credit: cover, 1, 2, 3, 4

Senior Musical Theatre major, Texas girl, soon-to-be Mrs., loves all things carbs, coffee, and fluffy