7 Reasons Why Seeley Booth is the Best Male Lead on T.V., because duh…

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami chapter.

This is a blanket spoiler alert: If you aren’t caught up on “Bones” or have never seen the show, don’t read this. I’ve been watching crime T.V. basically since I was born. My mom watched reruns of “Matlock” while she was pregnant with me; I grew up spending my evenings watching “Law and Order” with her when I was supposed to be doing my homework. I’ve seen every episode of “Criminal Minds” and “Law and Order: SVU,” mostly because I think of myself as a combination of Penelope Garcia and Olivia Benson. I love all things gory and crime fascinates me, but so do the real characters these situations create. Those who love crime T.V. always dote on how quirky cute Spencer Reid from “Criminal Minds” is or how Gibbs from “NCIS” is a silver fox, but Seeley Booth is lost in the shuffle. “Bones'” leading man is one of the most hyper-realistic and more human characters that I have encountered in all of my 20 years of watching crime T.V. Here are my 7 reasons why I love Seeley Booth:

1. His “white knight complex” (a la Sweets)

Booth is a natural protector, which is why I think his job as an FBI agent suits him so well. The motto of the FBI is Fidelity, Bravery, and Integrity: Seeley Booth strives to embody them all. The need to protect everyone in his life makes his more relatable and real to us, as many of us feel the same.

2. His gambling addiction and subsequent recovery

He is portrayed as a naturally flawed human being, as we all are. He represents the dark side of humanity and the things we are ashamed of and we do not wish to be reminded of. In times of stress, we all call on our vices and it is reassuring to see someone transparent on T.V.  His recovery shows us all that it is something that can be accomplished by anyone, no matter how far down the rabbit hole you fall.

3. His male friendships

Most male friendships on T.V. have this “no homo” overtone, but with Booth and Sweets (and later with Booth and Aubrey), this isn’t the case. Both Booth and Aubrey are supposed to be portrayed as hyper-masculine due to their job choice, but Sweets has chosen a “softer” profession in psychology. This does not deter the healthy male friendships to blossom. Showing friendships on T.V. like this can help young boys grow up knowing that it isn’t “gay” or “feminine” for them to be emotionally open with one another.

4. His relationship with Pops

Pops, Booth and Jared’s grandfather, basically raised them because their father was an alcoholic and an all-around shitty dude. Booth, who is very in touch with his emotions, turns into a complete mushball when Pops makes an appearance because he just loves him so much. It’s important to showcase that all emotions are valid and that they are not inherently feminine.

5. His ancestor is lowkey John Wilkes Booth.

Booth is so ashamed of what his ancestor did. This doesn’t come up often, but as a history nerd I squeal every time. This is a reminder that someone’s past or family does not define them. Booth fought in the military and now works as an agent in the FBI, serving his country and putting his life on the line for freedom every day.

6. He is a present, loving father.

Booth and Brennan currently have two children: Christine (after Brennan’s mother) and Hank (after Booth’s grandfather). He is shown working with Brennan to teach their children to love each other and to not take things so seriously. Christine takes after Brennan in many ways, but Booth is always shown bringing out her childish side and singing with her or playing games. He even showed her how to vanquish monsters from her closet and didn’t treat her like she shouldn’t be afraid. He makes an effort to be in his older son, Parker’s, life even when they live half a world away from each other. Booth is seen Skyping with him late into the night, despite the time difference, so he can see Parker off to school in the morning.

7. His dedication to Brennan

He is dedicated to improving Brennan’s quality of life. He gets her to become in touch with her emotions and to become more invested in the lives of her co-workers. He snuck off his army base before he was deployed to see her off and to say goodbye in person before she went to do groundbreaking research in the Maluku Islands.

Obviously, there are more reasons that viewers love Seeley Booth. He’s the most underrated and underappreciated male lead on T.V., but we can give him some more love in his last season. The 12th and final season of “Bones” premieres early next year – you bring the popcorn and I’ll bring the tissues.

I love makeup, crime TV, and melted cheese.