5 Badass Female UM Graduates

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami chapter.

While we usually interview assorted members of campus and recent grads who are going on to do great things, we sometimes forget to acknowledge the amazing former Canes out there. While The U has many high profile males that have gone on to achieve success, many women have excelled in a variety of fields in a way that would make any current student or graduate proud.

Gloria Estefan

It will come as a shock to few to see Gloria Estefan on this list. Before going on to be a five time Gammy Award winner, she graduated in 1979 with a BA in psychology and a minor in French.

Jill Arrington

Now a former college football sideline reporter for ESPN, Jill Arrington graduated in 1994 with a double major in journalism and political science as well as a minor in drama.

Gail Edwards

Edwards graduated Cum Laude in 1975 before going on to have a successful acting carrer, including a recurring role as Vicky Larson in Full House.

Doris Hart

Throwing it back to a University of Miami graduate that most current students likely wont know, Doris Hart was the 1951 Wimbledone champion and two-time US Open Women Singles champion in 1954 and 1955. She also found lots of success in her doubles carreer, with 18 wins from Wimbledon and the US Open. Hart was also successful in the Australian and French Opens. 

Sue M. Cobb

Since earning her law degree here in 1972, Cobb has gone on to become the former Florida secretary of state as well as the former U.S. ambassador to Jamacia.

Image credit: cover, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

DMV born and raised (and I do NOT mean the department of motor vehicles!). I'm a sarcasm afficiando and future owner of the Baltimore Ravens. Or the world. I'm always interested in government, politics, business, and sports. Entrepreneurship major, sports administration minor, graduating in 2018.