10 Reasons to go See Rocky Horror

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami chapter.

Every year, Canestage Theatre Co. and the Cinematic Arts Commission put on a shadow cast production of The Rocky Horror Picture Show, right here in our own Cosford Cinema.  Here are 10 reasons why YOU should go see it.

1. You get to dress up

A big part of going to Rocky Horror is dressing in your most outrageous outfit.  Rumor has it that someone wore a watermelon once.  Only a watermelon.  Interpret that how you will.

2. You get to shout things at the screen.

What other movie lets you scream at the characters?  No seriously, tell me. Let me know in the comments… A few guidelines to get you started: Brad is an asshole, Janet is a slut.  Make sure they know that.  When Frank says “Antici-” shout “SAY IT” until he finishes the word. When when Riff Raff and Magenta do what can only be described as “elbow sex,” chant that until they finish. But really, just have fun. There are no wrong answers!

3. The Timewarp

And all the other dances!  No rule says you have to stay in your seat.  In fact, if you aren’t jumping to the left and stepping to the right, you will be out of place. So, let’s do the Timewarp again!  And speaking of dances . . .

4. Lap dances from the shadow cast

If you want some special *attention,* sit on the aisles.  That said, sitting in the middle of a row does not guarantee that you’ll be safe, if ya know what I mean. And it goes without saying, but please respect the dancers.

5. Characters up close!

Not only are there dancers and the film playing, but there are actual actors playing each of the main parts!  See some of your classmates act out the iconic roles of Brad, Janet, Frank N Furter, Riff Raff, Magenta and Columbia!  It’s like Disney World but with more fishnets.  And sex.

6. Rocky

;)

7. You can let your guard down

Rocky is a safe space. Literally no one there is in a position (hehe) to judge you. I promise you won’t look nearly as ridiculous as yours truly attempting to seductively crawl across the stage.

8. It’s a cult classic

Please tell me I’m not alone in this, but my mother actually introduced me to Rocky when I was in middle school and it left me very sexually confused. Seriously though, go ask your parents about it. I’m sure they dressed up and went to a midnight showing just like you’re about to do…right?!

9. It’s a UM tradition

Sure we have the FSU game and the boat burning, but can you honestly tell me that fall at UM would be so amazing without Rocky Horror? No, you can’t.  

10. Witness a loss of virginity

You’ll see…

Lee is a theatre major at the University of Miami with a minor in Womens and Gender Studies.  She is also a vice president of Kappa Kappa Gamma.  In her free time, Lee enjoys snowboarding and attemping to eat entire pizzas by herself.