brett jordan fmqhTMu4IVU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
brett jordan fmqhTMu4IVU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Why Social Media Shouldn’t Define You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.

By Rachel Zurilla

Social media is something almost all of us use. And it’s so easy to get caught up in it, especially in college. “FOMO” (fear of missing out) is a real thing, and I totally get it.

BUT, that doesn’t mean you should judge your life or others based off of social media. Chances are, most people feel the same way; we all think that everyone else’s life is better or “cooler” because of what they post. Just because someone’s snapchat story makes it look like they’re having a great time doesn’t mean they are. Just because that one girl looks flawless in her beach pic on Instagram doesn’t mean she is (I’m sure she’s beautiful, but no one is perfect).

Pictures can be edited. Situations can be manipulated. Social media is often NOT an accurate representation of what goes on in our day to day lives. Ever been out with friends and felt like you HAD to put something in your story just so everyone else knows you have a fun life? Me too.

In college, it can be easy to compare yourself to others. You see all the things your high school friends or other friends on campus are doing and the fun they’re having and you feel like your life isn’t as exciting or you aren’t living up to certain expectations. Your life is not theirs. It’s okay if every time you have a good time it isn’t put on a platform for others to see.

I’m not saying social media is bad or that we should all give it up entirely. I’m simply saying that you shouldn’t judge your own life based off of what others’ appear to be like. I’ve found that the best times of my life haven’t been documented on social media, because I’m having so much fun while they’re happening it doesn’t even occur to me to pull out my phone.

So go live, have fun, and don’t worry if other people know about it or not!