Stage Left: Spring Awakening Performance

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.

Here at Miami University there are a plethora of student organizations that are known and respected, ranging from singing and dancing groups to the hockey team and theater groups. I spoke with Shane Davis, a member of Miami’s Stage Left, a musical theater organization. Stage Left has performed several famous plays, including West Side Story, Little Shop of Horrors, and You’re a Good Man, Charlie Brown. This semester’s choice? Spring Awakening! Shane Davis gives Her Campus the scoop on how Stage Left is preparing.

HC: What does a normal rehearsal look like for Stage Left?

SD: Stage Left rehearsals differ slightly based on the particular director, but we generally start with some physical and vocal warm ups, followed by scene or music work that has been selected for that rehearsal. Our rehearsals are luckily somewhat intimate, considering we usually do shows with casts under 20, which really helps the cast and crew to bond in a way that Stage Left prides itself on.

HC: About how many members are required to have a successful performance? 

SD: Stage Left productions are entirely student run, which means that there are tons of ways members of the organization can get involved. For example, our cast, director, assistant director, music director, orchestra and crew are all students. We always encourage those who are not in the cast of a production to get involved behind the scenes if they would like, and in that way we can get a large chunk of people from the organization involved. The more people we have helping out, the more smoothly things can usually run.

HC: How did Stage Left decide to perform Spring Awakening?

SD: Stage Left shows are selected by the director. Applications to direct are due the year before you are hoping to direct, and each director applies with a show in mind. Then, Stage Left’s exec board interviews those who applied and gives each applicant an opportunity to share their vision. The exec board then deliberates and decides which director and show are in the best interest of the organization. I applied to direct with Spring Awakening because it is a fun but emotionally powerful show, and I felt that it could appeal to a lot of different types of people for a number of reasons.

Be sure to check out the play on January 17th-19th! For further show details and updates check out their Facebook page.

Alaine Perconti graduated from Miami University (OH) with degrees in Marketing and Journalism. She is the co-founder of the Miami (OH) Chapter and was President from 2011-2013. After graduation, Alaine moved to Cincinnati, OH where she works for a digital marketing agency and is an active volunteer for a local animal rescue. As an HC Alum, Alaine is now a Her Campus Chapter Advisor and is excited to be a positive influence and professional partner for CC's in her new role.