Michelle Obama Visits Oxford

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.

There was an intimate sense of hope and positivity in the chilly air as First Lady of the United States Michelle Obama spoke to a crowd of 2,600 in Withrow Court this past Saturday.

After being introduced by first-year student Alex Ponikvar, Mrs. Obama took the stage looking comfortable yet chic sporting a bright floral top tucked into a classic black modern boot pant. 

“You have a really beautiful campus. I hope you realize how lucky you are.” Mrs. Obama said.

The audience was packed to the walls, consisting of Miami students and people who had traveled from surrounding communities to hear the First lady speak. Rochelle Smith and Juanita Rose Tyler traveled from Richmond, Indiana in hopes of seeing a woman they both highly admire.

“I love that she cares about the military and the kids in this country. She’s made such an effort to have an impact in their lives,” says Tyler. “If we didn’t have her, I don’t think we’d have him. She’s the wind beneath his wings.”

Upon entering the gymnasium, one could immediately sense the energy in the air. Obama supporters waved their signs as various songs chosen specifically for the campaign reverberated throughout the space: “Ohio Moves Forward,” “Women For Obama,” and “Early Vote, Early Win” were popular slogans found amongst the crowd.

With only three days left until her husband’s campaign comes to a conclusion, she made it clear that she was still fired up about their mission, stressing the accomplishments that the President has obtained in his past four years of presidency, such as passing the Lilly Ledbetter Act, ending the war in Iraq, and repealing “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell.”

Mrs. Obama also emphasized the relevance of her husband’s personal relationships and how they speak of his character and values as a father, husband, and finally, as the Commander-in-Chief.

“This is the man that I have known and loved for 23 years. I love him for his passion and his conviction, and the fact that he has always been committed to helping others.”

She described her husband as a devoted man, enriched with life lessons that came from being raised by a single mom and his grandmother.

“I also love the fact that he was so devoted to his own family, especially the women in his life. It was important for me to see the respect he had for his mother, and how proud he was that she put herself through school while still supporting him and his sister as a single mom. I also saw the tenderness he felt for his grandmother and I saw how grateful he was when long after she should have retired, she was still getting up everyday catching the bus to her job at the community bank doing whatever it took to support her family.”

It has been clear throughout both candidates’ campaigns that their differentiating opinions regarding social policy will be a significant factor when it comes to gaining women’s votes around the country. Many issues pertaining to women’s rights are on the line this election, and Mrs. Obama made it clear that her husband would continue to fight for the protection of a woman’s right to make their own health care choices, as well as work to end discrimination, and expand women’s health choices.

Mrs. Obama also brought attention to her sympathy for college students who are struggling to make ends meet while getting an education and reassured those in the crowd that she and her husband are striving to build an America where no one should be denied an education because of their financial situation.

This message resonated with many young women in the crowd on Saturday.

“All Presidents, First Ladies and politicians talk about achieving the American Dream,” says junior Nicholette Cameron. “However, the reality of achieving the American Dream seems much more attainable when hearing if from someone like Michelle Obama who was once in the same position as yourself – taking out student loans and working through college to make your parents proud and getting to where you want to be in life.”

As a First Lady with consistently high approval ratings, it is clear that Mrs. Obama has successfully impressed not only students here at Miami, but Americans all over the country.

“She is a woman of intellect and character. It is a powerful thing for a woman to personify all these traits,” states Cameron. “For young American women, Mrs. Obama acts as a source of motivation because they see a woman who started from humble beginnings, just like many of them, and lets them know it’s not impossible for them to become someone who is just as powerful and influential.
Michelle Obama embodies what, in a few years, we all hope to be able to say about ourselves.”

Mrs. Obama concluded her speech with a reminder of the importance of voting and volunteering this week. She urged members of the audience that their futures were bright.

“Here in America, we always move forward, we always make progress.”

As the crowd drowned her out with thunderous applause, she passionately chimed in with her husband’s short and sweet motto for his 2012 campaign: “Are you ready to go? Forward! Forward! Forward!”

The First Lady left the stage and proceeded to shake the hands of many bright-eyed students in the front row as the Miami band burst into song. Before finally walking back behind the curtain, she glanced back once more and waved. People in the crowd eagerly responded, some waving back, some applauding. But above the roaring applause triumphed one last cheer from the audience proclaiming the unifying desire that had brought them all there in the first place:

“Four more years.”

Hannah Harp

Miami (OH)

Hannah Harp is a senior studying Journalism and Psychology at Miami University. She is a co-editor, contributing writer, and photoblogger for the Miami (OH) Chapter of Her Campus.