Miami Guys’ Take On: Greek and Non-Greek Ladies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.

“What sorority are you in? Oh that’s great, I have a friend that rushed there. Do you know…?”

It’s a conversation starter, one we all know and have heard. Regardless of gender, guys and girls both use Greek affiliation as an icebreaker. The way you answer that question might have no effect whatsoever, but at the same time, it could make all the difference in the world.

What does rushing mean versus non-rushing in the eyes of the XY chromosomes roaming our campus? Do guys think a certain way about Greek girls or a certain way about girls who didn’t rush? People, especially young people, and ESPECIALLY college students, practically carry around preconceptions in their backpacks and purses. College boys have these same preconceptions, especially about the Greek system and its members/nonmembers. So what do they think?

An unaffiliated Junior said: “girls in sororities are usually more fun, they like to party, get rowdy, and have a good time. Some girls that aren’t Greek do too, but it’s usually a safe bet that if they are in a sorority, they like to rage.”

A senior fraternity member shared his opinion: “Girls that aren’t in a sorority tend to care more about grades than going out. They’d probably blow off a weekend to study. Some Greek girls might, but if there’s a theme somewhere, no test will stop them.”

Other students felt similarly that affiliated girls tend to be more social and like to go out, and go to parties while non-greek girls study more and “are more worried about the little things.”

An unaffliliated sophomore guy had a different perspective of the girls in letters. He said “I know a bunch [of girls] that joined a sorority for networking…to meet people and strengthen skills for a resume.”

Another student felt that, “non-greek girls actually party more, I think–at least the ones I know…they aren’t worried about Facebook pictures, or someone on Panhel finding out.”

One guy explained: “Greek girls generally have a guy hanging around…some boy that they go home to, some guy they always dance with, either boyfriend or not, it’s totally not like the movies [at Miami] where sororities are kind of easy.”

The same student also offered, “Non-greek girls aren’t either ya know, maybe it’s just Miami, but sororities and college girls in general get a bad rap… most chicks are pretty cool and just wanna dance and have a good time with everyone else, nothing too crazy.”

So when it comes down to Greek or GDI, opinions seem in favor of all Miami women. Some Greek girls are really social, and some Non-Greeks are too. Others study and others simply want to dance. Women at Miami are “mainly conservative…but they’re fun loving…just wanting to not waste their college years.”

At the end of the day Cyndi Lauper said it best … it seems you girls really do just wanna have fun.

Josh is a graduate student pursuing his Master's degree in History. He has Bachelors degrees in both History and Creative Writing.
Alaine Perconti graduated from Miami University (OH) with degrees in Marketing and Journalism. She is the co-founder of the Miami (OH) Chapter and was President from 2011-2013. After graduation, Alaine moved to Cincinnati, OH where she works for a digital marketing agency and is an active volunteer for a local animal rescue. As an HC Alum, Alaine is now a Her Campus Chapter Advisor and is excited to be a positive influence and professional partner for CC's in her new role.