Lauren Kiggins: The Miami Student Editor & WMSR General Manager

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.

You could say Lauren Kiggins, former Her Campus Assistant Editor, has taken Miami media by storm. The senior journalism major is the general manager of WMSR and the culture editor of The Miami Student. Read on to learn how Kiggins balances her time between the paper and the radio station, all while enjoying the her last semester with her friends.

Her Campus: You earned yourself two leadership positions in media organizations/publications on campus this year: general manager of WMSR and culture editor of The Miami Student. Can you touch on what your duties are in each role and how they contribute to each of the organizations?Lauren Kiggins: As general manager, I oversee every branch of the station (music, sports, news, promotions and engineering) and ensure the station is developing and moving forward in every area. For The Miami Student, I edit and budget stories for the culture section of the paper. The section contains anything from film reviews to art-related profiles to religious and cultural tradition features.

HC: How are you balancing your time between both?LK: I have multiple set meetings per week for both organizations, where I designate time to get my work done. I find myself squeezing in the remaining work whenever I have a free second, whether that be a Monday morning or Friday night.

HC: Before becoming the general manager, did you have any other leadership positions within WMSR?LK: I was business manager of the station prior to becoming general manager.

HC: What is your radio show like on WMSR?LK: “Juxtaposition” is a music show I’ve co-hosted since freshman year with one of my best friends, Aaron. The premise is in the name, placing two contrasting things together. The juxtaposition is present in ourselves as people and hosts, bringing different perspectives and musical backgrounds to the table, and also in the content we choose to air.

HC: Do you see yourself doing anything with music or radio in the future?LK: I’d love to land a job that involves working with or around music daily.

HC: The culture section covers a lot of local and campus events. What has been your favorite event or performance to attend or cover?LK: One of my initial TMS assignments freshman year was to cover a Miami a cappella group’s recording of their debut studio album. I was able to catch the production first-hand and spend time with the group, enhancing my knowledge and appreciation for the process. The story also was my first front-page story, which was really rewarding. As a senior looking back, I’d rewrite the whole thing, but it still remains my favorite experience.

HC: The Miami Student is the oldest college newspaper in the country. What do you think the paper does really well?LK: The editors do stellar job of making the paper a daily priority. As both students and editors, it’s a challenge to juggle all the responsibilities. It’s rewarding to see the dynamics and depth of each issue we produce. The newspaper as a whole does a great job of challenging the university and student body through its transparent, direct writing. We’re not afraid to publish and shine light on the truth.

HC: For the past two summers you’ve interned with Harper’s Bazaar in NYC. What was that like?LK: My time at Bazaar was an invaluable experience. As one of the top fashion magazines in the country, I was able to work under and alongside some of the most accomplished editors in the industry. To say the least, every day was fun, inspirational and informative. I’ve also been equipped with skills and knowledge that I can take with me when I enter the workforce post-grad.

HC: Do you have any advice for people looking to snag an internship with a top publication like Bazaar? LK: Be pleasant and respectful, and do more than you think you should. Get involved in any and every organization that interests you, until you find your niche. The work will pay off in interviews and through the connections you make.

HC: What are your plans for after graduation?LK: To get hired!! I’m starting the job application process now by getting my clips together and researching companies. I’ll begin applying closer to graduation, with my fingers crossed for an editorial assistant or assistant editor position.

HC: What will you miss the most about Miami?LK: I’ll miss being in such close proximity to all of my friends. Even though it’s a school of 16,000, the community seems much smaller. I’d also be lying if didn’t say I’ll miss my first class starting at 10 a.m….

Ellie Conley

Miami (OH)

Ellie Conley is a senior at Miami University. She is the current Editor-In-Chief and the former Publicity Coordinator for the Miami (OH) Chapter of Her Campus.