How to Stand Out at Spring ICE

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.

It’s that time of year again! Spring ICE is upon us. For those of you who don’t know, Spring ICE is Miami’s Spring Internship and Career Expo where employers from all over the US and Miami students meet to discuss upcoming internship and job opportunities for students. It is hosted this Wednesday, February 1 from 1-5:30PM in Millett Hall.Career fairs are nerve-wracking; huge crowds of students scrambling around the halls of Millett, harried employers. and the expectation that you’ll walk up to a complete stranger and start talking about yourself. If you know how to navigate the fair though, you can take a lot of anxiety out of the experience and impress prospective employers.

By following these few pieces of advice from MU upperclassmen, you have a better change of getting that internship/job with the company you want.

1. Alyssa A. (17’) says, “don’t be afraid to walk right up to an employer’s booth and launch right into your spiel. It might feel weird to approach a stranger and starting talking about yourself, but at a job fair, that is completely normal. Everyone is doing the same thing you are, so don’t feel shy.”
  2. Jessie T. (18’) suggests, “research companies beforehand. All of the employers are listed on the Miami website – do your research. This simple step is a great way to show a company that you are interested in them and why, while also allowing you to narrow down the list of companies whose booths you want to visit.”
  3. Kelly G. (17’) says, “have a good handshake. After an employer has spent hours shaking hand after hand, it matters more than you think and will help them remember you. My dad always taught me that a firm (but not too firm) handshake stands out. Anything you can do to maximize your impression to an employer will only benefit you, especially in a setting like a career fair.”
  4. Melissa M. (16’) recommends, “make sure your resume is organized and ready… and that you bring lots of copies! Oxford Copy Shop does a great job helping students print an appropriate number of copies of resumes and printing it on official ‘resume paper.’ Use them! Also make sure your resumes are easily accessible, you’ll look unprepared if you’re digging through your bag trying to find a copy in front of the employer.”
  5. Matt A. (17’) suggests, “prepare an elevator pitch. Be able to briefly explain yourself and what you do/want to do in 20 seconds, and have that spiel completely memorized. This reassures the employer that you’re serious about the company, while also demonstrating that you are goal-oriented.”Just remember, Spring ICE is meant to help you, not to be a stressful experience. These tips can help you not only obtain the position you want, but also an experience that can help land your career! 
Caitlin Barry Senior Campus Correspondent for Miami (OH) Chapter of Her Campus