How to Make Your Dorm Room Feel at Home

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.

Walking into your dorm on move-in day is overwhelming. The walls are bare. Dust is everywhere. There is not much floor space. The lighting is bright. It is simply not your bedroom at home. However, there are some solutions to make it a home away from home.

Problem: The overhead light is fluorescent and not calming, so at night it is bright.

Solution: You can line stringed lights along the top of the walls around your room. You can also bring a lamp to put next to your bed or on your desk. At night, instead of having the overhead light on, you can just have your lamp and stringed lights on. It makes the room feel warmer and cozier.

Problem: The walls are bare and boring.

Solution: Develop 4×4 pictures of your family, quotes, or even places you want to travel to. By developing pictures, your walls will have “art” and pictures of people you love that will make you feel right at home.

Problem: Dust is everywhere, the room has an odd scent, and it just does not feel clean.

Solution: Upon moving in, clean everything before placing your objects. Also, since you cannot bring candles to dorms, find a scent from Target that can plug into your wall or fragrant oils. This will keep your room smelling fresh and clean.

Problem: There is not much floor space so I feel cramped in my room.

Solution: Buy under bed storage. Sometimes you cannot rely on the furniture the University gives you. Then, when you get all the furniture out of the way, you can put a nice rug down and it will feel less cluttered.

How did you decorate your room? Instagram or tweet a photo and use the hashtag #hcmiamioh.

Mary Carroll

Miami (OH)

CCs