mink mingle AlEyuIKuSmc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
mink mingle AlEyuIKuSmc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

High Waisted Shorts: A Guy’s Point of View

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.

They look amazing on Pinterest, store mannequins, Taylor Swift and hippies. And we’ve all tried them on (literally tried to pull them off) in fitting rooms only to check your back view and wonder, “How does this actually look good on anyone?” While retro-style high-waisted shorts may be something women all over are stubbornly trying to pull off, men simply say, “put them back on the hanger and walk out of the fitting room.” HC collected a few guys’ opinions over the weekend regarding high-waisted shorts, and the general consensus was that the retro look should stay in the past.

“A girl has to be really retro and probably on the thinner side to pull them off. Just not my favorite look,” John, 19, told HC outside of an Uptown boutique.

When I went inside the boutique and proceeded to try a pair on, I stepped out of the fitting room to hear my own boyfriend’s reaction. “Honestly not a fan, unless you’re as tall as Taylor Swift. I think most girls can find more flattering things” he said. Side Note: I’m about a foot shorter than Taylor Swift.

“They’re basically the summer version of mom jeans,” said Ed, 18, a student at Miami. Looks like the new flowy and light pom-pom shorts are a better choice for hotter weather.

Still, for some guys, it was just the style the shorts portrayed that turned them off. According to Andrew, 20, “It looks like the girl is trying way too hard to be hipster.”

However, there was a small section of supporters. Zach, 19, told HC, “[he] really loves the 90’s look of them on most girls.” And Drake, 21, simply said “A girl should just wear whatever she wants.”

So, regardless of what the guys think, if you’re into the look of high waisted shorts, we say wear them!

Abigail is a freshman contributing writer for MiamiOH
Ellie Conley

Miami (OH)

Ellie Conley is a senior at Miami University. She is the current Editor-In-Chief and the former Publicity Coordinator for the Miami (OH) Chapter of Her Campus.