HER Advice: Melissa Ashton

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.

Ever dreamed of working in a big city and wondered if you can make it one day? Do not worry, collegiates! Meet Melissa Ashton, a Miami alum living her dream working in New York City. This Connecticut native girl seems to have it all: an impeccable sense of style, a perfect career where she gets to work with top brands and TRAVEL, and a super handsome boyfriend (who is also a Miami grad!). Her Campus had the chance to talk to her and hear her advice on how she got where she is now. Keep reading to see how her journey “was not all roses” but she worked hard, proved herself and finally made it to New York City! And who knows, if she can, so can you one day!

Name: Melissa Ashton

Age: 25

Graduation Year: 2011

Major: Mass Communications (Video Production) & minor in Marketing

Campus Involvement: Vice President of Lambda Pi Eta (Communications Fraternity) & Social Fraternity Chair for Alpha Omicron Pi 

Current Job/Position: Account Manager at Touchstorm

Current City: New York City

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/melissaashton

What does your current job entail? Is there such a thing as a typical day?

I am the Account Manager at Touchstorm, a digital media company that produces video content for brands and distributes the content to online publishers as editorial content.  We work with some of the top brands in the world, which is always very exciting.

I lead the day-to-day relationships between brand clients to ensure that the strategic goals of each brand are communicated and translated into execution for a successful digital video campaign.  In other words, I touch ALL parts of ALL digital video campaigns at Touchstorm from creating timelines and budgets to writing scripts and producing videos. For a job like mine, while I have to be very organized for the roles, I also have to be able to think on my toes and react calmly when things are thrown at me at any moment.

This job does not have a typical day but that is what I love about it. I have the opportunity to travel to all the cool places and work with many creative people. So, for example, in January, I was in Las Vegas shooting videos for LG, and then the subsequent month, I was in the office in New York tracking the progress of 8 live campaigns and training a new team member.  Last week I was in LA shooting videos for COVERGIRL. It keeps things exciting and I have gained so much incredible experiences in just one and a half year at Touchstorm.

What is the best part of your job?

Video Production. I studied video production in college, so it is something I have always loved and been passionate about.  At Touchstorm, I have been able to produce and shoot videos for some awesome brands like Pampers, LG, Gillette, and COVERGIRL.

Also, what I love about my job is the amount of responsibility I have been given at such a young age.  When I am responsible for following a project from start to finish, I have the authority to make decision and get the credit for it. In other words, I have the opportunity to make a real difference in the success of the company. Since Touchstorm is a small start-up company, they are able to realize and reward me for my strengths.  Over the course of 1.5 years, they recognized my passion for video production and promoted me to be the lead video production Account Manager.

How did you first get started? 

I started out working for Sony Music in their internal video production agency. I was an intern for Sony in between my Sophomore and Junior year at Miami.  A month before I graduated, my superior from my internship called me up and asked me to come in for an interview.  Next thing I know, I was graduating with a job offer. I started my job at Sony a week after I graduate. No summer break for me :-/

Did you have any internship during your time at Miami?

Sony Music was my big internship during college.  Between my Junior and Senior year, I studied abroad for half of the summer, and then filled the remainder of my summer being a Production Assistant in NYC for a Video Production company.

What has been the most surreal moment of your career thus far?

Traveling, working with the world’s largest brands, and being one of the youngest – and yet the most influential – people on set of a video production.

How is your post-grad life? What is the best part about living in New York City?

My post-grad life is at a really good place right now.  I can’t say it has all been roses; transition from college to ‘real life’ was certainly not easy.  I had to make a new group of friends, I was long distance with my boyfriend for a year, and New York is not cheap!  But I can gladly say that I now have a solid group of friends that I would consider family, I live with my boyfriend (a Miami grad as well :-D), and have discovered some of the best happy hours and slices of pizza in NYC. 

What is one thing you wish you knew about the post-grad life that you know now?

Save your money for a ‘F-U Fund’ (yes, it means a f*ck you fund). Save up enough money to live off of it for at least 3 months without a job. This will give you confidence at work, allow you to take risks without the worry of losing your job and being penniless.  If you take risks, you WILL be successful, so set yourself up financially in order to make some risks in your career. 

What are your favorite things about Miami?

Some of my favorite things about Miami: AOII – the amazing organization that gave me some  wonderful memories and life-long friendship, the incredible studying abroad trip in Europe for 6 weeks and my boyfriend who I am still with today.

What advice would you give to a 20-something Miami girl?

Connections are everything. Never discount any person as a career contact. You may think “Oh this person is an accountant, she can’t help me get into journalism.” In reality, you never know whom they may know. For example, I work in digital media/advertising and my co-worker connected my boyfriend to an amazing job opportunity – he works in finance!  

Also, act like a boy. No, I don’t mean you have to wear a suit, burp, and watch sports 24-7.  What I mean is be confident. Stand up for yourself. Women often hesitate and think before they act (men don’t), say “I’m sorry” too much, and burden themselves with gilt if something goes wrong.  The next time you have an opportunity to volunteer as a leader, DO IT. Even if you don’t know how to do the task, you will very likely find someone to help you. Remember, you are a resourceful woman. The next time you write “I’m sorry” in an email (unless you are begging for forgiveness), delete it. Men don’t say “I’m sorry” in emails, they just fix the issue. 

Lastly, let thing roll off your back, especially in your 20s. You are going to make a lot of mistakes in your career and that is okay. You are still young; don’t let it hold you down.

Want more? You can follow the fabulous NYC life of Melissa on Instagram @melissaBashton

Que Anh Nguyen is a Senior at Miami University(OH). She is the Head Style/Photoblogger and is a Contributing Writer for the Miami (OH) Chapter of Her Campus.