HC Approved Ideas For Crafting The Finest Fratlinburg Cooler

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.

It’s cooler painting season y’all! For some people, this could be a stressful process (especially if you don’t think you’re artistic) but there’s no reason to worry! Her Campus is here to help.

Whether you’re painting a cooler for a fraternity formal, for your little, or just to have something fun to put your drinks in this summer, the cooler painting process is a blast!

Supplies you’ll need (to impress your date with the best cooler EVER!):

• Cooler
  • Paintbrushes
  • Sandpaper
  • Spray paint primer
  • Acrylic paint
  • Mod Podge (the outdoor kind is the best; available at Walmart for 8 bucks)

First, buy whatever size cooler you feel is appropriate for the occasion. Coolers can be found at Walmart or Target and some campuses even offer philanthropic events that sell coolers already sanded and primed.

Once you have your cooler, take your sandpaper and scratch all of the shiny varnish off the sides. This makes the acrylic paint stick onto the cooler surface better. Next, spray your primer over the entire cooler and let it dry completely.

Once your cooler is dry, it’s time to start painting. Don’t know what to paint? Pinterest has HUNDREDS of ideas that can help you decide. Short on time or scared of painting? Print off images from the Internet and you can Mod Podge those onto your cooler. Popular designs include brands of clothing companies, beach scenes, music quotes, Lilly Pulitzer prints, and different types of beer.

After you’re done painting or gluing your images onto the cooler, make sure to seal your hard work so it won’t peel off! I have personally used the outdoor Mod Podge all over my cooler and it has held up nicely (even after being dragged in the sand at the beach). Make sure that your cooler dries in a cool environment or else the Mod Podge will take forever to dry.

Take a look at my finished cooler after all the hard work for some Fratlinburg inspiration, and happy cooler crafting, collegiettes!

Miami University student Alpha Phi Virginia native
Alex McNulty

Miami (OH)