Happy International Women’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.

March 8 is International Womens Day, and it is a day for women empowerment everywhere. It took a lot of work to get to where women are today, and there is still more work to be done for women all over the world, including this country. The women at HerCampus Miami branch are so proud to provide all of our readers empowering pieces and stand by them throughout their college experience. To celebrate National Womens Day here is a small look at some of the women who have paved the way to equality. This list is just a small look at some of the biggest works of well-known women, but there are so many more women out there who have made, are making, and will make a difference in this world, big or small. “Here’s to strong women, may be know them, may we be them, may we raise them.”

1. Susan B. Anthony

Susan B. Anthony was an women’s right activist who played a vital role in establishment of the nineteenth amendment, giving women the right to vote. Unfortunately, she died before it was passed.

1. Mala Yousafzai

Mala Yousafzai is an activist for girls education and the youngest ever to receive a Nobel Peace Prize. She is best known for standing up against the Taliban in Pakistan and demanding the right that girls go to school.                                 

3. Emma Watson

Emma Watson is best known for her role as Hermione in the Harry Potter series and showing girls it is okay to be the smartest in the room. She also launched the campaign called “HeForShe.”

4. Rosa Parks

Rosa Parks was a civil rights activist. She was arrested for refusing to give up her seat to a white man. Rosa Parks is known as “the mother of the freedom movement.”

5. Gloria Steinem

Gloria Steinem is a feminist, journalist, and activist. She is best known for her leadership in the feminist movement in the 1960s.

Here’s to strong ladies everywhere and to all of our readers! Happy International Womens Day!   

Carrie Shaheen

Miami (OH) '19

Miami University President/Writer
Caitlin Barry Senior Campus Correspondent for Miami (OH) Chapter of Her Campus