This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.

You might have heard of these so called “barre classes” and thought, “I don’t know how to do ballet” or “I’m not a good dancer,” but you’ll be surprised to know that these classes require no rhythm. In big cities like New York and Washington DC, there are workout studios solely dedicated to barre classes and training. People can’t stop talking about barre and its incredible results. This trendy new workout has quickly become a global phenomenon.

The class emphasizes stability and stacking your body weight — which is really code for total body toning. For example you might be doing squats with calf raises, but you are also holding in your core and making sure that your back remains upright. Talk about a full-body workout.

The ballet barre is really only there for stability purposes and as an accessory to the exercises. So no, the fact that you can’t plié, pas de bourrée or reach your foot above your head should not be an issue.

Barre classes incorporate a variety of bodyweight exercises that target your butt, thighs, abs and arms. The micro-movements make this class unique. Things like pulsing in a squat or rocking back and forth in a plank help to tighten trouble areas like you wouldn’t believe.

Over the summer I incorporated a barre class into my weekly workout routine and it became my toughest workout of the week! It was 45 minutes of highly targeted routines that challenged my balance and ultimately made me work harder in each exercise. After I got over my initial fear of the barre itself, I fell in love with the class and I saw results almost immediately.

The Miami University Rec Center now offers a Ballet Barre Workshop at 4:30 p.m. every Sunday. You can learn more about obtaining a pass for this challenging, yet fun class on the Miami University Rec Center website. See you at the barre!

Morgan Weemhoff is a sophomore at Miami University. She is the Event Coordinator for the Miami (OH) Chapter of Her Campus.
Ellie Conley

Miami (OH)

Ellie Conley is a senior at Miami University. She is the current Editor-In-Chief and the former Publicity Coordinator for the Miami (OH) Chapter of Her Campus.