Fallon Delivers Strong First Week As New Host Of Tonight Show

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.

If there was a book titled, “How to Reincarnate Late-Night TV Talk Shows For Dummies,” our golden boy Jimmy has earned the right to author, illustrate, and publish.

With a slew of cameo appearances and signature sketches, Fallon could not have had a better first week, as he launched into the next chapter of his career with The Tonight Show. Sitting pretty at his new desk, Jimmy brought the refreshing humor and personable demeanor his audience keeps coming back for, ushering in a new era for a show so beloved by many. Proof of the Brooklyn native’s warm welcome to the stage last week is just about anywhere you look–his debut has been the hot topic on campus and online. Let’s not forget that the network ratings are nothing short of gleaming.

In just a few short sentences of last Monday’s opening monologue, Fallon covered 60 years of the show’s history and officially claimed his position in line. Many fans wondered how the new time slot, new studio, and new shoes to fill would alter the content of Jimmy’s quirky routine. It is safe to say that Jimmy’s not changing for anyone. With an air of slight timidness and charming promise, Fallon has settled into Studio 6-B and made himself at home with his old Late Night cronies, announcer Steve Higgins, and his incredible house band, The Roots.

Known for his immense humility, it was no surprise that Fallon took time out to thank his viewers for their loyalty and NBC for the new opportunity.

“This is a moment in TV history, right here,” Fallon told the audience on Monday. “I remember being a kid… and asking my parents, ‘Can I stay up to watch Johnny Carson?’ … It means a lot to me. I hope I do well. I hope that you enjoy this. I just want to do the best I can and take care of the show for a while. If you guys let me stick around long enough, maybe I’ll get the hang of it.”

The whole world couldn’t help but smile as Jimmy waved to his mom and dad in the audience, saying how happy he was they are still around, and telling them he hoped they were proud of him. Jimmy also acknowledged his “beautiful wife” and six-month old daughter Winnie, who he loves very much. Seriously, how could you not root for this adorable softie of a man?

Fallon’s debut show included a legitimate parade of celebrities who came to pay tribute to the host. When Fallon made a shout-out to “that friend” who owed him money because they didn’t think he would ever make it to Tonight, one big name after the next popped out from behind the curtain and delivered the host their debt. Robert De Niro, Tina Fey, Seth Rogen, Lady Gaga, Tracy Morgan, and more all filed on stage to the roar of Fallon’s studio audience. Completing the celeb train was fellow late-night funny man, Stephen Colbert, who chose to pay up with a bucket of loose change. Hilarity ensued.

This change in hosts marks a significant period of evolution for Tonight. Jimmy and his team have created a powerful presence with the younger generation, with many Late Night bits easily going viral every week, mere hours after being posted online. Compared to Leno, Fallon’s comedic style is much more laid back and physical, two characteristics that will bring a breath of fresh air to the 11:30 p.m. time slot.

And drum roll please… Fallon’s first week with Tonight was the most watched week of the show since May of 1993. On Friday, Jimmy’s partner in crime (arguably partner in life), Justin Timberlake stopped by and brought in the most viewers of the week, with 8.7 million tuning in. Friday’s episode also earned a 2.9 rating in adults 19-49, the highest mark in the show’s key demographic since Fallon’s debut last Monday.

The episode captured multiple precious bromance moments between Jimmy and JT, and also included the duo’s newest installment of History of Rap, a segment where the boys string together popular rap songs and properly let loose the only way that the goofy middle-aged white men know how. The fifth medley of this series brought down the house just like its predecessors, featuring hits from LL Cool J, Ludacris, Kanye, and Jay-Z.

The show is currently hitting its highest marks in more than 20 years, signaling that this shift into a new age could quite simply not have come at a better time. Music, mimicry, and fervor: these personal strengths have carried Fallon to the top, and to our relief, it appears that he plans to continue to use them to his advantage at Tonight. None of us would want it any other way.

Hannah Harp

Miami (OH)

Hannah Harp is a senior studying Journalism and Psychology at Miami University. She is a co-editor, contributing writer, and photoblogger for the Miami (OH) Chapter of Her Campus.