Emily Sewall Gives us an Inside Look of MAP

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.

Emily Sewall is a sophomore psychology major from Dayton, Ohio. Sewall is a member of Alpha Phi Omega and Miami Activities and Programming (MAP). MAP is a program that organizes student activities, from large programs like Family Weekend to smaller events that are held during each semester. Throughout her time in MAP, Emily has contributed to planning many events and is currently holding a major position in the program.

Her Campus: How and when did you become involved in MAP?

Emily: I got started because my freshman year one of my older friends told me that she thought I would like it, so I signed up at Megafair.

HC: What is your role in MAP?

Emily: I am the director of Red Hawk Events, and I help plan the events that have to do with athletics and the traditional events that we do every year, such as Spring Fest. So, I work with the other members on my comity, and we plan what we want to have at the events, like the food and the games. We then contact all the vendors and make it happen.

HC: What upcoming events do you have that you can tell us about?

E: Well, tonight we are having the Hazing Prevention basketball game. It’s kind of just more of a marketing event for us, though. So, we are just going to be there. In two weeks, we are going to have a bagel and deli competition where teams can sign up and bagel and deli will be there. You can make your own bagel and the top three winners, I think, get to have their bagel sold in the store for the semester.

HC: That’s so cool! How do you guys come up with events?

E: We come up with events because some are ones that we do every year and just keep doing. Also, we have an event proposal form that members can use to fill out with their ideas for and event and if they are approved, we plan it!

HC: You have such a busy schedule, how do you find balance in your life?

E: I stay up late a lot [laughs]. I try to make sure that all my work for the week is done on the weekend, so that when I come into the new week I can do what I need to do during my office hours. And then, when I’m not in the office I can get my homework done. And just try to balance it that way.

HC: What’s your favorite thing about MAP and why should people join?

E: Well, I think it’s cool to get a say in what’s going on, like we get to help pick the spring concert and all the comedians. Also, I love to see the event actually happen after we have done all the work and planning it.

Carrie Shaheen

Miami (OH) '19

Miami University President/Writer
Caitlin Barry Senior Campus Correspondent for Miami (OH) Chapter of Her Campus