Cutie With A Cause: Sam Burgoon

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.

HC: What are 3 things that inspire you most in life?

SB: The generosity of others, smiling faces, and people who chase what they want.

HC: What are you most looking forward to about your year long adventure in Malawi?
SB: I am most looking forward to the adventure. I love traveling and interacting with new cultures. I think they will be able to teach me more about myself and life in general.

HC: What do you anticipate will be the greatest reward during your stint in Africa?
SB: The greatest reward I could receive from my time in Malawi is making an impact on at least one child at the school where I’ll be teaching and to improve their health through our nutrition program.

HC: What was the initial desire and drive for you to take a year off and devote your time to service? 
SB: I honestly couldn’t get the people there out of my head. I had gone there for a two-week trip in the summer two years ago and those two weeks have stuck with me. The Malawian people have so much passion, strength, and happiness despite the extreme poverty they live in. That is truly inspiring itself, and if they need help why not lend my services to them? I’m fully capable and willing.

HC: Describe your efforts and involvement with The Moringa Meal Project.
SB: I’m working with two guys that are graduating from the University of Dayton, Stephen Crum and Jesse Anderson, to implement a feeding program at the high school, grade school, and nursery school of our village. The program uses dried Moringa leaves, which is a super food that will add much more nutritional value to the children’s meals. It’s extremely important to add to their meals because for most of the children, their meal at school is their only meal of the day. This also doubles as an incentive for the children to come to school, thus increasing their education.

Through our program, it only costs $11 to feed a child at our school for a year, and we are currently fundraising for our project. Check out our website to learn more and donate! 

HC: What is your personal definition of happiness? 
SB: Laughter. Pure, no-holding-back outbursts of laughter.

HC: What’s one thing you think the world needs more of?
SB: The world needs more selflessness.

HC: Who’s your hero in life and why?
SB: My dad. He is the epitome of hard work and that no matter what you can always turn your life around for the better.

HC: Predictions for your future 5 years from now?
SB: Oh gosh…who knows! Hopefully I’ll be working in public relations or fundraising/event coordinating for a non-profit, preferably living in Charleston, South Carolina or Chicago.

HC: What’s your top 5: favorite Netflix binges, favorite ice cream flavors, favorite shots, & favorite activities to de-stress? 
SB:  Netflix binges: Scandal, Orange is the New Black, How I Met Your Mother, Dexter & New Girl
       Ice Cream Flavors: Cookies ‘n’ Cream, Caramel, Anything with Heath Bar in it, Strawberry Cheesecake, & Vanilla
       Shots: Pineapple Upside-down Cake, Fireball, Swedish Fish, Dirty Girl Scout, & Haterade
       De-stress activities: Running, Reading a good book, Walking/Exploring, Watching Friends, & Binge watching on Netflix

HC: What’s the theme song to your life?
SB: At the moment, it’s definitely Fancy by Iggy Azalea!

HC: If you were a Jimmy John’s sandwich, what would you be? 
SB: Beach Club!

Alex McNulty

Miami (OH)