This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.

Don’t get me wrong, black will always be the new black. However, there is always room for change in all of our wardrobes. It’s time to push the boring black, white, grey and tan neutrals aside to make room for a pop of color this winter.  The colder months are notorious for lackluster outfits, but not this year! Prepare to see people rocking various bright shades as they trek through the snow. Here are some of my favorite color trends to be on the lookout for this winter.

Yellow

This one is huge right now. And who would’ve thought that looking like Big Bird could be so cute? Whether it’s a subtle mustard or a bright neon shade, yellow has struck everyone like a jolt of lightning.

Screw the LBD, this is the YBD! This dress adds two huge winter trends: yellow and velvet. It’s the perfect holiday look for this season.

Sweaters are obviously a major staple to everyone’s winter wardrobe, but this one strays from the typical cream cableknit that we all know and love so dearly. Even a simple color change can be a refreshing twist to the basic sweater look.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: the black parka is out. This is a great statement piece for the frigid Ohio winter that will help you stunt on all those basic b*tches still wearing their black Northface.

Two-piece sets are another popular style right now. This set is great because it can double as lounge wear for when you just want to bundle up and stay inside watching Elf all day.

Red

Red has always been a great pop of color, but lately it’s been popping up all over the place. It’s a great holiday color as well as being edgy if worn the right way. This is a bright color that is a little less intimidating than yellow, so seriously go give it a try!

Calling all tom-boys! Who says only girly girls can follow trends? Sporty pieces are sprouting up everywhere and classic athletic brands are bigger than ever. This is a super easy and laid back way to look #kewl.

This is your classic red holiday dress. It’s great because it will work now and forever no matter what’s trendy at the time. The satin fabric helps dress it up for any ~fancy~ parties you might have this holiday season.

These plaid pants are another example of how skinny jeans are on their way out. The flare at the end in addition to the cropped hem gives off an edgy look that anyone can pull off. These are a fun way to incorporate pattern and color into your fashion repertoire.

One of the easiest ways to try out a new look is through jackets. If you get too nervous during the day, just take it off! But with this red denim jacket, I don’t think you’ll want to take it off. It’s a spin on the traditional blue denim that I’m living for.

Jewel Tones

While these aren’t bright and flashy, shades of emerald and plum can still brighten up your closet this winter. I know that I’m attracted to these tones as they are easy to wear and re-wear all year long. Plus, these are some of the most flattering colors in my opinion.

Another holiday party dress! Yay! Just what we all need! But these dresses are also great for semi formals, formals, date parties, and really any night out if you want to be a little spicy. You can never have too many nice dresses because you never know when you’ll need it!

For a different look at all the dances you’re attending, try a midi dress. This is a popular length and will also keep you a little bit warmer. Who can argue with that?!

As much fun as formal dresses are, casual dresses are more practical. Especially sweater dresses. You can wear this turtleneck sweater dress so many ways. With tights, with a fur jacket, with a leather jacket, with a denim jacket, with heels, with sneakers and the list just keeps going. It’s such a versatile piece that you won’t regret having in your closet.

And finally, the most basic – but maybe my favorite– jewel toned piece. This chenille sweater is just what we all need this winter. It’s soft (chenille is amazing), cute (peep that crop), and on trend (purpppppleeee). Gimme gimme!

There is no reason to hide behind your neutrals any longer! Step out and make a statement in your bright colors – you won’t regret it.

Feature Photo

Mallory Hackett

Miami (OH) '20

Mary Carroll

Miami (OH)

CCs