This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.

As women, I’m sure that we can all relate to the feeling of uneasiness and fear that comes with being approached on the street by men we don’t know giving uninvited compliments. More often than not, their words are not conventionally negative, but I think that we can almost all agree that they are unsolicited and can stir a sense of panic, especially if we are walking the streets by ourselves. Whether it’s, “Hey Ma,” or, “Hi beautiful,” these words are disturbing coming from men we don’t know. This is more formally known as “catcalling”.

If I had a nickel for every time that I, myself or one of my friends was a victim of this, there wouldn’t be enough room in my small college apartment for the amount of shoes that I would acquire

The most common response that I’ve heard from men on the issue is, “Who doesn’t like attention?” or, “Aren’t they complimenting you?” and while those are both valid points, I realized that I needed to go out and ask college women what their thoughts were on the issue. I took to the red brick streets of Oxford, Ohio to find girls, who preferred to remain anonymous, what their thoughts are on this “cat calling” phenomenon and how it makes them feel. I chose girls with different backgrounds and different ages, hoping to get a variety of answers, and I must say, the responses that I got were amazing!

HC: How often are you “catcalled”?

Girl #1: More often than I would like, I don’t know how many times I have had to remind these guys that my name is not “hey you” so I will not be answering to it.

Girl #2:  Oh wow! How long do you have? [Laughs] No, but a lot. Especially being from a bigger city, whenever I go home, I have to mentally prepare myself for it.

HC: Does it bother you?

Girl #1: Definitely, I mean no I’m not going to be so upset that I need to say something, but I’ll definitely roll my eyes and keep walking. It’s annoying.

Girl #2: Not so much anymore, because I just kind of expect it, you know? I don’t love it, at all, but it’s going to happen.

HC: When a guy is “catcalling” you are you ever scared or nervous something might happen?

Girl #1: Oh my gosh yes! I get so scared! Especially if I’m alone, like walking to my car or something, I’m most definitely freaking out.

Girl #2: Yeah. It definitely is unsettling. I have to make sure that I am careful how I respond, or how I don’t respond. Like, I can’t smile or I feel like that sort of encourages them to continue, but I can’t like say something crazy either because I don’t know that person. I just kind of pull out my phone and pretend I’m texting or something.

HC: Do you have any words of wisdom for all of those catcallers out there if they’re reading?

Girl #1: Please just stop. Like you wouldn’t want some grown man yelling at your daughter, sister, nieces, friend, whatever. It just makes everyone uncomfortable.

Girl #2: That’s not going to make me want to stop and be like “Hi, how are you?” it’s just going to make us girls want to run away and get as far from you as possible. Find a different approach, or keep quiet.

Shelby Hyde

Miami (OH)

Shelby Hyde is a senior journalism and professional writing double major with hopes of working in the wide world of publishing upon graduating in May of 2016. This Miami University (OH) Campus Correspondent/Editor-in-Chief is a fashion fanatic with a knack for words and bringing them to life. Shelby has had a wide variety of experiences throughout her four years at Miami, including working as Creative Services and Special Sections intern for Cincinnati Magazine, as well as a three-time returning style guru intern for well known fashion site, CollegeFashionista.com.The 22 year-old is Hoosier born and bred with a New Yorker status pending, and she's looking for something BIG! All inquiries can be forwarded to: shelbyyhyde@hercampus.com
Ellie Conley

Miami (OH)

Ellie Conley is a senior at Miami University. She is the current Editor-In-Chief and the former Publicity Coordinator for the Miami (OH) Chapter of Her Campus.