Avoiding the Freshman 15 as an Upperclassmen

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.

While I joke about gaining the Freshman 15 as a Junior, watch out people, it can happen! Especially to those of us who think we’re above taking precautions. My Freshman year at Miami, living on Western campus, I was victim to late-night eating (Shriver mozzarella sticks) and avoiding the Rec, given it was about a 45 minute walk (at my pace). To keep your physique, here are some things I wish I knew to help avoid the Freshman 15:

Do Not’s:

• Order Bagel and Deli three nights a week. As much as you’ll be temped to order often when studying, resist the urge to pick up the phone and call for delivery. Even though it seems like it’s exciting to sample a different bagel every week, it’s important to pace yourself; remember you do have four years on this campus.
  • Take the bus to every class/uptown on the regular. If you live farther away from central campus and it’s more convenient to take the bus to and from your classes, try to resist this temptation.  Don’t you want to avoid awkward stares for carrying a map when you actually do have to travel around campus on foot? Besides, the whole fun of going out at night is walking Uptown and getting to know and make friends along the way.
  • Eat late night food without making up for it the next day. While we are most definitely not discouraging late-night eating, especially on the weekend, the recovery the next week is key. Whether that means incorporating more veggies and fruits into your diet than normal or hitting the Rec more consistently, it’s all a matter of what works best for your body. Figuring out how to regulate yourself and understand the way your body ticks is no doubt a lifelong process, but at the end of the day life is about enjoying yourself (especially when it comes to food).

Do’s:

• Stay hydrated. Try some lemon in your water to spruce things up (and keep you regular)! Especially when transitioning between different seasons and when you’re on the go between classes, it’s important to take proper care of your body and replenish with liquids.
  • Walk everywhere. Our campus is beyond beautiful, why not explore all Miami has to offer on land? I highly suggest the hiking trails on Western Campus or even a trip to the breath-taking bluffs with friends.
  • Eat breakfast. While I have no intention of sounding like your mother or a broken record, this “do” is truly integral to getting your metabolism started for the day. Whether it’s a banana, a Greek yogurt, or pancakes and eggs- anything is better than nothing!

Alex McNulty

Miami (OH)