Advice from Graduating Seniors for First Years

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.

Another fantastic year at Miami is wrapping up (as impossible as it may seem), and that means that a new freshman class is currently scattered about the country probably stressing about starting a new chapter of their life at college. Well this blog goes out to you, little freshies!

The older we get, the more it becomes apparent that hindsight truly is always 20/20. It’s essential to learn from the past, as well as from those that have gone through similar experiences and have advice that could make all the difference.

So to help ease your nerves, I gathered up some great advice from graduating seniors that have been in your shoes. They’ve racked up some incredible memories, learned life lessons, and want to lend their knowledge to you in your efforts of settling in and becoming a thriving Redhawk. When asked what they thought freshmen should know in order to get the most out of the Miami experience, this is what they said:

Ladies of The Burrow- Claire Krieger, Ellen DeFrance, Elena Rymer, and Taylor Major

“Don’t settle for crappy friends.”

“Don’t skip classes, even if attendance isn’t required- it will catch up to you later. And always sit in front of the class. You will be more engaged and less likely to get distracted. Speak up in class, too! Be confident in what you know even if you are the youngest.”

“Be yourself!  Don’t feel pressure to conform to the ‘Miami girl’ style- wear what you find most comfortable and what makes you confident.”

“Don’t be ashamed of changing your major. Everyone does it and it’s more important that you find something that you are passionate about to study, even if it means you will make less money.”

“Do one thing that will shock your parents, but not enough so they cut you off (get a piercing or play with your hair color)!”

“Take a variety of courses and attend guest lectures on campus. These next four years will give you so many learning opportunities. Take advantage!”

“There are plenty of things to do on weekends besides drink! There are programs like AfterDark, pottery uptown, places to explore, events to watch, and other people to hang out with”

Jill Masterson

• Get to know people in your dorm on every floor.
  • GO GREEK.
  • Get involved on campus.

Brianne Davidson

“Get involved early and find your niche- don’t be afraid to try out new groups or go to different info nights to see where you belong. Also, utilize Career Services from the beginning. They have a lot of great resources and can really help you set yourself up for success, regardless of your major.”

Jessi Howard

“Always stay true to yourself!”

Rachael Sullivan

“Make friends in your classes because it makes it easier for studying and forming groups for projects. Don’t stress about the little things, go to office hours and get work done early so you can enjoy your time! Also, go to Career Fair. Ration your meal plan money (it goes quick!) and always check the weather before you leave your dorm/house. And go on a spring break trip at least once.”

Hannah Harp

Miami (OH)

Hannah Harp is a senior studying Journalism and Psychology at Miami University. She is a co-editor, contributing writer, and photoblogger for the Miami (OH) Chapter of Her Campus.