This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.
Need a fast answer to, “What’s for dinner?” but you have a limited budget and time? We have you covered. With these eight quick and cheap recipes, you can hang up on your go-to delivery restaurant and save your money for books (and other college stuff).

You can make any of these dishes in less than 30 minutes, and anyone who smells your delicious new dinner will wonder how you found the time to become a student chef.

1. Chicken Pesto Salad Sandwiches

Not only is this dish quick and easy, but it’s healthier than most versions of chicken salad. Follow the recipe, or make it even easier for yourself: use pre-made pesto, a rotisserie chicken and single serving container of plain Greek yogurt. The salad itself less than 150 calories per serving.

2. Stuffed Sweet Potatoes

Poke a few holes in a sweet potato with a fork, and put it in the microwave for 5-8 minutes, depending on the size of your spud. After that, you can fill it with whatever your heart desires, put it in the oven at 350°F for 10 minutes, and enjoy. Make you filling while the sweet potato cooks in the oven to cut down on more time. For chipotle chicken filling, heat shredded chicken, spinach and a chipotle pepper in adobo in a skillet, or follow this recipe: http://www.halfbakedharvest.com/healthy-chipotle-chicken-sweet-potato-sk…. For a sweeter alternative, try this broccoli-cheese version: http://www.acouplecooks.com/2013/02/broccoli-cheese-stuffed-sweet-potatoes/.

3. Pita Pizza

Pita bread is not only better for you than pizza dough but it also makes your personal pizza ready and available in just 15 minutes! Okay, maybe that’s not as fast as Little Caesar’s pizza, but depending on the ingredients you pick, the pita pizza version will be healthier and just as affordable. Try this barbeque chicken version: http://www.pumpkinnspice.com/2015/06/04/barbecue-chicken-pita-pizza/. Or keep it simple with spinach, mozzarella and olive oil.

4. Pad Thai Ramen

Where would we be without Ramen noodles? Upgrade your go-to dinner from the dorm to your first apartment by trying this simple recipe. Just add: peanut butter, soy sauce and scallions. Seriously. It’s that simple. To upgrade from apartment-level to house standing, add chicken, crushed peanuts, Sriracha, mushrooms and bean sproats. Go here for the recipe: http://www.marthastewart.com/349053/ramen-noodle-upgrade.

5. Weeknight Stir Fry

You can personalize this recipe however you want and with whatever you have in your refrigerator. One of HC’s favorite blend of veggies: edamame beans, broccoli, snow peas and tofu. Also, make it faster by buying a bag of Birds Eye Steamfresh rice—ready in the microwave in just 4 and a half minutes.

6. Loaded Nachos

Another adaptable recipe, your version of loaded nachos can depend on whatever you have on hand. For the simplest version, all you need is cheese, salsa and chips. But if you want to get fancy, HC recommends adding black beans, corn and a jalapeno pepper.

7. Orecchiette Pasta with Chicken Sausage 

This inexpensive and simple dish takes only 20 minutes to throw together. Imagine: instead of waiting over half an hour for your Krishna delivery you can cook this delicious pasta dinner and still get all the flavor and full-stomach feeling for less than half the price of your chicken tiki masala. As if this pasta couldn’t get any better, it’s only 284 calories per 1 ½ cup serving. 

8. Breakfast Sandwiches

For a sweeter finish to your busy day, treat yourself to a breakfast sandwich. No recipe required. Just spread a little bit of butter on two slices of bread, add your fruity filling, and heat your sandwich on the  stove until both sides are crispy and warm. Best fillings: strawberry and Nutella or blueberries and cream cheese with cinnamon.

Tess is an Assistant Editor and Contributing Writer for Her Campus Miami (OH)
Shelby Hyde

Miami (OH)

Shelby Hyde is a senior journalism and professional writing double major with hopes of working in the wide world of publishing upon graduating in May of 2016. This Miami University (OH) Campus Correspondent/Editor-in-Chief is a fashion fanatic with a knack for words and bringing them to life. Shelby has had a wide variety of experiences throughout her four years at Miami, including working as Creative Services and Special Sections intern for Cincinnati Magazine, as well as a three-time returning style guru intern for well known fashion site, CollegeFashionista.com.The 22 year-old is Hoosier born and bred with a New Yorker status pending, and she's looking for something BIG! All inquiries can be forwarded to: shelbyyhyde@hercampus.com