This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.

For high school seniors, this fall can be one of the most exciting times, while also being one of the most stressful. Applying to college can seem overwhelming at first, but if you start with a plan, then it makes the whole process much easier. Stick to your plan, and I promise that you’ll get through it!

1. Give yourself deadlines

By planning out what you need to do and sticking to your schedule, you will make your life much easier. If you get behind or start your applications too late, then the process becomes much more stressful. By spacing everything out, filling out your applications is much more manageable.

2. Ask your teachers to proofread your essays

Your teachers have been through the application process before, so they know what admission offices are looking for. Ask your English teacher if they have time to look over your essay, and chances are that they would be willing to help. Any feedback you can get from someone who has applied to college can help.

3. Apply to a range of different types of schools

When applying, you should make sure that you are applying to a safety, match, and reach schools. Your sights may be set on a top tier university, but it is important that you apply somewhere that you are sure that will accept you.

4. Don’t apply to too many schools

Each application has a lot of different parts and essays to fill out, so if you apply to too many schools, it is easy to get overwhelmed. It is pretty typical to apply from anywhere from three to up to ten colleges. If you apply to more than ten, you are opening yourself up to more opportunities for stress.

5. Keep an open mind

You may not get into your first choice school, but it is not the end of the world. Don’t let it hold you back from finding the college that is best for you. If you don’t get into a school, it means that it was not the right place for you.

6. Don’t follow your friends

Leaving high school is difficult because you are moving away from all of the people that you grew up with. You may be tempted to follow your friends to the colleges that they are going to, but if you do not love that school, doing this is a mistake. College is a time to find yourself and meet new people, so while you might miss your high school friends, it is important to branch out and have new experiences.

7. Relax, everything will be fine

Application season is stressful, but everything will work out. You will get through it. Let your grades, test scores, and achievements speak for themselves. There is a school for everyone, and you will find the one where you belong.

Hannah is a freshman at Miami University, where she is majoring in journalism. She has a puggle, named Bailey, loves tennis, and is a huge Survivor fan. Follow her on Instagram @hmbanas99
Mary Carroll

Miami (OH)

CCs