5 Ways to Tell You Found Your Lifelong Bestie

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.

In college, your girlfriends are everything. They are the people we turn to, who read between the lines and know exactly what is going through your mind with just one glance. They understand that somedays can only be cured by risking salmonella and vocal cord damage from eating raw cookie dough and screaming Kelly Clarkson songs at the top of your lungs. They encourage you to take risks, take chances on new people or relationships, and to take the last cookie in King Cafe. Perhaps Charlotte York was onto something when she said, “Maybe our girlfriends are our soulmates and guys are just people to have fun with.”

Here are 5 signs that you have found your lifelong bestie:  

1. Distance doesn’t impact your relationship

It doesn’t matter if you go to the same college or not, you still keep each other updated on life events, school struggles, and the latest drama.

2. When you reunite, it’s like you were never apart.

Even if you two have been apart for a long time, you pick up right where you left off – nothing changes.

3. You find yourself talking about them to your other friends all the time.

Whether it’s a funny thing they said or an unforgettable memory, you never seem to run out of stories about you and your bestie. 

4. You have more long term plans with them than most people have with their significant others.

You have planned everything from little weekend getaways to a trip to Europe in 5 years to the christening of your future child. I mean, who else would you want to share these experiences with anyway?

5. You can’t imagine your life without them.

Your best friend is always there for you, whether you need a shoulder to cry on, someone to talk to, or a good laugh. You wouldn’t trade their friendship for anything in the world. 

Caitlin Barry Senior Campus Correspondent for Miami (OH) Chapter of Her Campus