5 Tips To Nailing An Interview

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.

Whether you’re just now starting college, or finally graduating this year, interviews are an obstacle you’ll constantly be faced with. Whether you’re trying to land a part-time job, or applying for your first “grown-up” job, you must learn to surpass expectations in any interview setting. Here are some key pointers that will guide you towards impressing potential employers and enhance your overall interview experience.

1. ALWAYS dress for success.
Dust off those classic heels in your closet, pull out the pearls, and have a resume in hand. Looking the part will show that you are determined to make an impression with your interviewers.

2. Make sure you get plenty of sleep the night before. Teachers always nag students and say that you should sleep well before a test, and they’re right! Having a good night’s rest will give you more energy during your interview, and you’ll be less on edge.

3. Do your research. Researching the company and its goals before you head to the interview is strongly encouraged, even if it’s for a part-time job. Employers will want to know why you want to work for them, and this knowledge allows you to engage with the company’s mission. Even knowing whom the founder of the company is and how it expanded are beneficial facts.

4. Be yourself. Of course everyone wants to sound intelligent by incorporating sophisticated and academic vernacular into their speaking, but don’t over-do it. Be friendly and personable. Having enthusiasm will make you seem like you are excited to work for the company.

5. Being fifteen minutes early is our golden rule. Remember, you’re on the interviewer’s time. You’re not grabbing lunch Uptown. Arriving early proves that you’re serious about earning the position and that you want to work for the firm.

Interviews can be nerve-wracking, but follow these steps and you’ll be that much closer to landing the job of your dreams!

Alaine Perconti graduated from Miami University (OH) with degrees in Marketing and Journalism. She is the co-founder of the Miami (OH) Chapter and was President from 2011-2013. After graduation, Alaine moved to Cincinnati, OH where she works for a digital marketing agency and is an active volunteer for a local animal rescue. As an HC Alum, Alaine is now a Her Campus Chapter Advisor and is excited to be a positive influence and professional partner for CC's in her new role.