5 Sitcoms on Netflix to Replace the Loss of How I Met Your Mother

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.

On November 13th, tragedy struck many Netflix users as How I Met Your Mother parted ways with the streaming service.  The loss of this sitcom has left many users empty, in search of a light-hearted and comedic show to turn to for a daily pick-me-up. Sitcoms are a special kind of TV because the episodes are under 30 minutes, making them perfect for a study break, a bedtime ritual or an easy binge session. The shows don’t take too much investment, allowing you to multitask while watching it, or take a break for a few months and come back to it without missing much of the plot. Many sitcoms follow the same formula of HIMYM with the dynamic of a friend group dealing with sexual tensions and the chaos of everyday life. Here are some sitcoms available on Netflix that you should turn to in loss of HIMYM.

1. Friends

If you watch HIMYM, chances are you’ve already watched all 10 seasons of Friends on repeat. But if you haven’t, what are you waiting for? Friends is literally the 90s version of HIMYM that show remarkable similarities between characters (Barney and Joey, Ross and Ted??) and both are set in New York City. Plus, Central Perk is an easy replacement for  MacLaren’s Pub.

2. That 70s Show

Another twisted and comical yet quintessential friend group, the only real difference is That 70s show is about high schoolers set in Wisconsin during the 70s, while HIMYM is about 30 year olds set in modern day NYC. They both have the same 3-2 guy-to-girl ratio with coarse humor and many “hidden” references to sex and drugs.  

3. New Girl

Another similar dynamic, New Girl is centered around three-guys and two-girls in their early 30s with love triangles emerging and dying- essentially the LA version of HIMYM. If you love the witty-humor, bromances, and sexual-tensions of HIMYM, New Girl will be a good addition to your Netflix list.

4. Baby Daddy

Baby Daddy may be seen as a more childish alternative, but it is still extremely funny. It’s about a 20-something Bartender who finds out he is a father and is left to raise a baby with his older brother and best friend. This show does replicate similarities to HIMYM though, as there are love triangles within the friend group, and most scenes take place in the same apartment and bar in NYC.

5. Friends from College

This Netflix original debuted in July and only has one season out so far, but has already been renewed for a season 2! It stars Cobie Smulders, aka Robin Scherbatsky from HIMYM, so therefore any fan needs to watch it. It’s about a group of college friends living in New York in their 40s, so basically just a HIMYM grownup.

Feature Photo

Madeline Marshall

Miami (OH) '20

Junior political science and strategic communications double major at Miami University (not Florida)
Mary Carroll

Miami (OH)

CCs