danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Jobs in the Fashion Industry You Didn’t Know About

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.

By Jordan Podojil

Fashion. When people hear this, the immediate thought is typically clothes or designing. However, the industry has many opportunities beyond this. Almost any major can be applied to the fashion industry in some way.

1. Visual Display Merchandising

This career is still within the creative realm. However, instead of visualizing and creating clothes, this job is more like interior design. You get to construct unique displays to express the brand and display the clothes in retail stores.

2. Finance

If you love numbers, this is a great choice for you. Just like any business, someone needs to deal with the money. The truth is those who control the money, control the business.

3. Marketing & Social Media

Everyone loves scrolling, liking, commenting, and posting their own content. But knowing the strategies and increasing awareness and engagement to lead to sales is a recently popular profession. I mean #aesthetic!

4. Trend Forecasters

Clothes are everywhere, so how do people figure out what the next popular styles are? These people look at analytics, as well as things like Fashion Week, street style, and blogs to determine what you and all your friends will want to wear next year.

5. Buying

This is kind of like shopping with a game plan. People with this job get to choose which clothes will be sold in the retail stores and online. However, they must follow the trends, other sales, and season, so it’s a little more complicated than just throwing some things in a cart.