5 Formal Hairstyles You Can Do In Your Dorm

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.

Looking to wow your date to formal without all the stress and drama? Here are five easy hairstyles that will knock him off his feet! This is your guide to looking fabulous without looking like your got a prom up-do.

High-fashion Ponytail
You don’t have to be Blake Lively to get this cute, trendy hairstyle. Simply pull your hair into a high ponytail and take a medium sized strand of hair from the side of your ponytail closest to your head and wrap it around your hair tie. To finish the look, just stick a bobby pin into your hair to keep the strand in place. The look works best if your hair is slightly tousled, so feel free to pull down a few wisps of hair to your cheeks (as Blake has done) and curl your hair to add volume to the ponytail.

Just-Messy-Enough Bun
Here is another fabulous hairstyle that could be done in your dorm room! Most say that the best way to create a more formal messy bun is to use bobby pins rather than a ponytail holder. When wearing this hairstyle, pull down your bangs or layers as shown above. The loose layers should be wavy to add more flow to the look. Also, a braid looks great with this–so try braiding a piece of your hair on the side (as shown on Jessica Alba) and bringing it back into your bun.

Waves on Waves on Waves
One of my personal favorite looks is long, voluminous, curled hair! If you have hair extensions, this could be a great look for you! Simply use a curling iron or an infinity curler to create sexy beach waves and then use hairspray to keep the look in place. To make this hairstyle more formal, take the upper part of your hair and pull it back with bobby pins! Consider teasing the hair at the crown to add height to the look.

Loosely Braided
A loose braid is a really hot style right now! Simply braid your hair to the side and let a few layers hang down to give a great casual, yet formal look. Pair this style with a cute pair of earrings to add a bit of sparkle. Consider fishtailing your hair as another fun way to get this image.

Soft Curls with a Twist
Speaking of gorgeous braids, check out Lauren Conrad’s hair in this style! This look could easily be achieved with a few curls and the right accessories. Have you ever curled your hair with a straightener? Well, curling hair by twisting your hair through your straightener you can get curls like Lauren! Another option for achieving these curls is to braid your wet hair before bed, and wake up with soft curls. Braid a small chunk of hair as shown in the image. Pair this look with a bright lip and sparkly eyes. 

Morgan Weemhoff is a sophomore at Miami University. She is the Event Coordinator for the Miami (OH) Chapter of Her Campus.
Alaine Perconti graduated from Miami University (OH) with degrees in Marketing and Journalism. She is the co-founder of the Miami (OH) Chapter and was President from 2011-2013. After graduation, Alaine moved to Cincinnati, OH where she works for a digital marketing agency and is an active volunteer for a local animal rescue. As an HC Alum, Alaine is now a Her Campus Chapter Advisor and is excited to be a positive influence and professional partner for CC's in her new role.