11 Signs You Go To A Party School

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.

This year, our very own Miami U made Princeton Review’s list of “Top Party Schools in the Nation.” Ranked at number 16, this quaint little town we all know and love stands with some of the most notoriously rowdy campuses around, such as the University of Oregon, Penn State, West Virginia U, and Ohio University. Us RedHawks usually shudder at the mere thought of sharing any category with those Bobcats over in Athens but hey, we’ll gladly accept this association with them (for once) as a compliment.

If you ask any proud student on this campus what they love about Miami, it will only be a matter of time before the topic of our affinity for the party scene undoubtedly comes about.

The fact of the matter is we work really hard but we can play even harder. With a thriving Greek community, a colorful uptown stretch ideal for the weekend warrior, and a constant academic workload that basically begs to be followed by a drink or two, it is no surprise that our beautiful Oxford has gained the recognition it deserves as being one of the top party schools in America. One can find traces of our “go hard” attitude just about anywhere, and the staff at Her Campus Miami has taken it upon themselves to name just a few.

1. Theme nights in abundance- The fact that our very own Brickstreet offers a different theme with drink specials to match every single night is a tribute to the spirit of our school. When bars uptown such as The Wood’s keep their doors open late on school nights, you know you are a part of a student body who appreciates socializing and getting their mid-week drink on.

2. WE LIKE TO PARTY ROCK-Saturdays are infamous at Miami for bringing out the “best” in people, considering most of us pour into Beat the Clock as soon as we roll out of bed in the morning. Honestly, Saturdays just don’t feel right if you don’t have a pitcher in your hand at some point. Whether your venue of choice be Brick, Skipper’s, or even an afternoon house party, we are all bound by our endless passion for day drinking.

Always.

3. The late-night munchie scene– Local businesses such as Doughbys and Sohi graciously supply us with our late night munchies throughout the school year, most delivering far past midnight. You better believe the party animals of Oxford keep many restaurants occupied straight until closing time. Bless the staff at Jimmy John’s, I’m sure they’ve seen it all. And to the ridiculously attractive worker at Bagel and Deli who had to deal with my friend climbing over the bar last year, I apologize. She’s a sneaky little thing.

4. Thirsty Thursdays– Because why not?

5. In the art of pre-gaming/tailgating, we reign supreme– Let’s be honest, we probably get more excited about hanging out with friends before the game than keeping track of the actual score; except if it’s hockey- if it’s hockey, don’t even try to talk to me while the puck’s in play.

6. Greek Life– Keggers and socials and mixers, oh my! Miami is unique in that one in three students here are Greek. The Greek scene is massive and their appreciation of a good time is fit to scale. Not convinced? Just Google us: Miami’s Greek community has had its fair share of time in the media over the years for partying-rocking a little too hard. But honestly, what’s epic frat life without making the national news once in a while?

7. Themed Attire– You know you live amongst fiesta-loving folk when you don’t even do a double-take at the sight of a bedazzled coconut bra, pastel toga, or American flag parachute pants walking down High Street.

8. Trashcans and Redskins– When the preparation of the most beloved drinks on campus entail the bartender pouring literally half his liquor spread into one container with the purpose of only serving one person, you know you’ve got one heck of a fearless student body on your hands.

9. Syllabus Week– Our behavior during the two easiest weeks of the year speaks for itself.

10. Tuesday is the new Thursday– All hail 90’s Night!

11. Free Fridays– It seems as if every other upperclassman we know does everything within their power to avoid scheduling class on Fridays. Honestly, who can blame us? Four-day workweeks are a beautiful thing and aside from utilizing this extra time to go to the gym and get homework done, it’s also a sought-out method to avoid super rough mornings after our Thirsty Thursday shenanigans. What can we say, we’re smart, sexy, and schedule-savvy. 

Hannah Harp

Miami (OH)

Hannah Harp is a senior studying Journalism and Psychology at Miami University. She is a co-editor, contributing writer, and photoblogger for the Miami (OH) Chapter of Her Campus.