Why the Topsfield Fair is the best thing since Pumpkin Pie!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Merrimack chapter.

October is wicked awesome.  Of course the most important event is the Topsfield Fair, in Topsfield Massachusetts. You might want to mark your calendars now for October 3rd through October 13th.

The Tops-field Fair is the oldest agriculture fair in America!  Barns full of prize winning vegetables are perfect for every spectator. Don’t forget the pumpkins.  Who wouldn’t want to go and see New England’s tallest pumpkin? Pumpkin selfies are totally in.  Just come to the pumpkin barn and see for yourself. There is even a pumpkin decorating contest. The themes are very creative and artistic; you might not actually believe they were once ordinary pumpkins sitting in a pumpkin patch.

The petting zoo is always full of cute fluffy animals.  You can ride an Elephant too, or watch chicks hatch from their shells by the incubator.

The food stands have everything to satisfy your taste buds. Where else can you get carnival treats this time of year? Fried dough, funnel cakes, and fried Oreos are some of the snacks from the 300 food vendors accessible.   You should try the Caramel covered apples, they are a fair necessity. 

The fair rides are a joy for all ages.  The classic Ferris Wheel begs to be ridden.  If that’s not enough, how about zero gravity?  The iconic merry go round is stocked with a gleeful array of colorful horses.  Remember the exhilarating childhood experience riding round and round gleefully waving at one’s family or friends repetitively?

Come to the Topsfield Fair to experience the magic of October in New England.  The thrilling rides, fresh vegetables, and gargantuan pumpkins are sights to see. The greatest experiences ever can be had in at the Topsfield fair each October.

Lori Grant

Merrimack

Rachel DeYoung is a junior at Merrimack College pursuing a degree in Business Marketing with a minor in Mass Communications. This is her third year as a member of the Her Campus Merrimack College chapter where she assumes the role of Campus Correspondent. You can follow her on Instagram (rdeyoung)