Stress Management Through Creativity

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Merrimack chapter.

When it comes to managing stress, many think that taking a break from everything can be helpful.  For some, sitting quietly, focusing on nothing, and relaxing are the best ways to combat the worries of the day and the arduous task of completing assignments.  During the last few weeks of the semester, the workload picks up and so does the stress.  Sometimes relaxing can be the best way to deal with it, but for many, keeping busy is the best answer.   During my freshman year, my answer was writing, but now as an English major who needs a break from that occasionally, I have personally turned to crocheting.  Finding ways to make different works of art, whether they can be read, worn, or simply visually enjoyed is a great way to do something that is both distracting from the stress, but productive for those who can’t find relaxation through traditional routes.  Here are some new tools to cope with stress that are a little untraditional, but can work for anyone.

1. Writing uses both your imagination and your emotions.  By putting feelings into words and thinking in more artistic terms, writing can give your mind a break from more analytical, left-brain work.  This can include

• Poems
  • Memoir Pieces
  • Short Stories

2. Another approach is to do something that is more artsy like paper crafts.  Scissors and glue sticks are not for elementary school anymore.  So grab your crayons and get working on products such as:

• Scrapbooking
  • Oragami
  • Drawing 
  • Coloring

3. Finally, textile crafts can be used to distract the mind and keep hands busy.  I personally love to crochet when I am listening to podcasts for class or watching Netflix.  If you have any of these skills from your childhood, this is a great time to pick them back up again.  If not, there are many videos to be found with instructions for beginners.  You can try:

• Crocheting
  • Knitting
  • Needlepoint
  • Sewing

If you are stressed from work but are a busy bee who can’t seem to stop working, try picking up arts and crafts.  You may find a new hobby and a great way to de-stress during this busy time of the year!

Jessica is an English major with a concentration in Creative Writing.  She is a member of the Honor's Program, Her Campus, The Writer's House Writing Circle, Orientation, and Onstagers Theater.  Her hobbies include drinking Diet Pepsi, daydreaming, and writing about every experience/scenario she can think of.
Rachel DeYoung is a junior at Merrimack College pursuing a degree in Business Marketing with a minor in Mass Communications. This is her third year as a member of the Her Campus Merrimack College chapter where she assumes the role of Campus Correspondent. You can follow her on Instagram (rdeyoung)