This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Merrimack chapter.

Paulina Amato, who has recently graduated from Merrimack had the idea last semester of opening a student run art gallery. Amato received her Bachelor’s degree in Art History and knew early on she wanted to pursue a career as an art curator. The gallery will reside in Augie’s Pub, which will give students many opportunities to get involved. 

Students will be able to hold art workshops as well as be able to create magnificent pieces of art without having to worry about the price of materials. The pub not only has a wonderful atmosphere, and will also give students a sense of community while browsing the artwork. The art gallery will be open during lunch and dinner for students to view exquisite displays of art by their talented peers.

Amato states, “I believe that this gallery will be influential in attracting new students to the school as well as help promote and celebrate the diversity and talent of our peers.”

Amato describes her goal as to promote the collaboration of different majors within the Visual and Performing Arts department and give students a chance to experience and learn about the workings of an art gallery. This gallery will be a great opportunity for students to advertise their work in a gallery setting as well as interact with peers. The gallery will be accommodating to new ideas from the students and alumni who contribute their art as well.

Since Amato’s graduation last semester, she has passed along the gallery to Merrimack student’s Jaclyn Caruso, Rachel Mueller, and Molly Caynes. The first art show in the gallery will be in April. Amato encourages students, staff and alumni to attend the show.