This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Merrimack chapter.

This past Tuesday I was lucky enough to be able to host a Makeup Night with our very own, wonderful Her Campus Merrimack. The event was a bring your own makeup event where I lead the group through a “going out” makeup look. Some girls followed along while others hung out or took notes.

Our very own Brooke Coupal modeled the look through each step that I did. It was great getting to walk around the room and help everyone though each step, adapting to whatever makeup they had brought. Everyone was super resourceful with the different types of makeup they brought. There were a few questions people had so here’s a few major things that came up!

Powder Bronzer

Lots of people only had powder bronzers which are still great more a more subtle contour! One of the biggest things that I recommended was that if you are using especially a powder for contour that you really only start by placing the brush right in front of your ear because with powder, the color will be the darkest where you first place the brush. Another tip with powder contour is that you can’t place it in a dark line and blend out like a cream. You should use a medium blush brush and lightly blend and build the color in the hollow of your cheek, up the temple and over the forehead.

Correcting Contour with Concealer

The best part about contouring is that you can usually fix your mistakes by adding more light concealer just under the hollow of your check to highlight and clean up the line.

Messy Eyes are OK!

Another tip is that especially if you’re doing something like a dark smokey eye you should apply the eye makeup first so you don’t get any messy fallout on your perfect completion. Simply blend the dark shadow and using a makeup remover wipe pull it up towards the temple (roughly following the line between the outer corner of the eye and the outer tip of the eyebrow).

Brushes

Brushes are crucial too! They can be the difference between a soft blended look and a patchy face.  Brush sizes matter too. For your eyes, the only time you want to use a small brush is when you are putting shadow along the lower lash line, highlighting the inner corner or creating a really sharp defined crease. Otherwise, you want a medium, pretty fluffy, eye brush. When it comes to the face, you also should mostly stick to big dense brushes because that will make your face look more smooth and blended.

If you have any questions or weren’t able to attend and have things you’d like clarified feel free to email or message my facebook page (brennamcdonalddesigns@gmail.com or Brenna McDonald Designs, I would be happy to answer anything at all!

Thank you to everyone who came and/or helped set this night up! It was such a fun experience for myself and hopefully everyone else who attended!

I'm Brenna McDonald, a sophomore at Merrimack college who loves hair & makeup. Follow brennamcdonalddesigns on instagram to see a little more about what I love to do! 
Rachel DeYoung is a junior at Merrimack College pursuing a degree in Business Marketing with a minor in Mass Communications. This is her third year as a member of the Her Campus Merrimack College chapter where she assumes the role of Campus Correspondent. You can follow her on Instagram (rdeyoung)