How to manage your stress!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Merrimack chapter.

As the school year begins once again, stress is sure to arise in the stomachs of each student. Before stress overwhelms you, try some techniques that will help to manage this stress.

One technique that helps with stress is keeping track of activities through calendars. Google calendar is a great source to use. It is found right on your gmail account, and also comes in the app form for your smartphone! It reminds you of each activity you have throughout the day, whether that is class, club meetings, practices, or whatever else you may have to plan into your day. Along with using a Google calendar, using a planner is also helpful. This is good when coming to writing due dates for assignments in all your classes.

Another technique that helps is putting tension from your stress into something else. A very simple way in doing this is squeezing a stress ball. This allows a release of tension in a non-harmful way. Practicing breathing exercises also helps. This will calm you down when anxiety starts to build up. Meditation will have a similar response to the body that breathing exercises has. When you mediate, the body relaxes into a peaceful state. Working out is probably one of the most popular stress management techniques. This produces endorphins which makes the body feel good. Finally, talking out how stressed you are to others is sometimes all you need. By expressing your anxiety and worry, you will begin to feel better as you let it off your chest.

Stress is a feeling that college students are likely to experience, especially when it comes to getting back into the swing of going to school. Through these many techniques, this stress can be handled in a proper manner. This will allow for you to feel good about yourself, and eliminate some of the stress that you may be carrying around.

Brooke is a Merrimack College graduate with a passion for news. Few things get her more excited than racing around a newsroom, helping develop breaking stories. Her goal is to help make the world a better place through the art of journalism. You can often find her exploring the Boston-area with a smile on her face.
Rachel DeYoung is a junior at Merrimack College pursuing a degree in Business Marketing with a minor in Mass Communications. This is her third year as a member of the Her Campus Merrimack College chapter where she assumes the role of Campus Correspondent. You can follow her on Instagram (rdeyoung)