Favorite Contour Products

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Merrimack chapter.

Everyone always hears about contouring and sees the pictures on Instagram and Pinterest where people are painted up with brown lines on their faces…but these posts don’t always tell you what products to use. Here are the go-to contouring products that I like to use on myself and clients.

1.     My favorite base to a contoured face is the Sephora collection 10 HR Wear Perfection Foundation. For $20 it’s a good buildable coverage that lasts for quite a while and has 22 different colors to choose from to find your perfect shade.

2.     Next for my contour lines (along the cheekbones, temples, forehead, nose and jawline) I love the Coastal Scents Camouflage pallet. Not only is this great because there are ten different shades to have different degrees of shading, but they are super bendable and buildable.

3.     My favorite highlighter is the Fit me concealer by Maybeline. You should get this in a color slightly lighter than your natural skin tone to highlight below the eyes, along the bridge of the nose, chin and just above the jawline.

4.     Fit me by Maybeline and L’Oreal Tru Match Super-Blendable Powders are my two favorite drugstore powders. I usually buy a dark to set my contour, a light to set my highlight especially under the eyes to avoid creasing and a neutral tone to blend it all and give the face a soft look.

5.     Brushes are huge with contouring. I use E.L.F foundation brushes for the highlight and contour and to blend I use Real Techniques brushes which I got off of amazon (5 brushes for about $20) which I LOVE  and really give a soft finish. I use the Coastal Scents powder brush as well to blend everything  at the end with my neutral powder, this brush does shed a good amount but its cheap and has the perfect density to blend powders.

If you’re looking for a drugstore dupe for the first two products, L’Oreal Tru Match Lumi foundation is a great dupe for the Sephora collection one and the Maybeline New York Dream Matte Mousse foundation in a darker color can be a substitute for the Camouflage pallet.

Below are step by step photos but for more detail check out the contour video on my @Brennamcdonalddesigns instagram! 

I'm Brenna McDonald, a sophomore at Merrimack college who loves hair & makeup. Follow brennamcdonalddesigns on instagram to see a little more about what I love to do! 
Rachel DeYoung is a junior at Merrimack College pursuing a degree in Business Marketing with a minor in Mass Communications. This is her third year as a member of the Her Campus Merrimack College chapter where she assumes the role of Campus Correspondent. You can follow her on Instagram (rdeyoung)