Black History Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Merrimack chapter.

Throughout the month of February, Merrimack has been holding events that acknowledge Black History Month. Martin Luther King said the famous words, “I have a dream.” Today, his vision of equality is being recognized. 

Each day during the month of February, the Office of Student Involvement is doing a daily tweet about black history month on twitter with the handle, @OSI_MC.  For example, on Feb. 14, 2013 they tweeted, “On this day in 1923 the first black professional basketball team, ‘The Renaissance,’ was organized.” On Feb. 4, 2013 they shared, “On this day in 1913, one of the most courageous women, Rosa Parks was born.” These facts helped to spread knowledge on social media.  

Other groups of Merrimack’s community are getting involved as well. RA’s in Residence Halls have joined this acknowledgment by making their bulletin boards follow the theme for the month. McQuade Library is displaying books about important figures in Black History throughout the month including Rosa Parks, Malcolm X, Martin Luther King, and many others. The Writing Center is celebrating by having a Creative Work Contest.

Students are encouraged to submit a piece of writing, a video, a song, a drawing or any other artistic interpretation of a quote that pertains to Black History Month. All are welcome to submit their entries to the Writing Center by Feb. 20, 2013. First place is $50 in mackbucks and second place is $25 in mackbucks. On Feb. 11, Dr. Finnie Coleman gave a presentation entitled, Hip-Hop Culture, Race, and the Mythologies of a Post-Racial America. In the presentation, attendees learned about the role that race has played and continues to play in Hip-Hop culture.

Further, Dr. Coleman discussed how racial barriers are created and demolished by the perceptions of Hip-Hop culture in today’s world.  He shared his viewpoint and knowledge about the misconceptions that can sometimes appear within post-racial America. The presentation was deeply insightful, aligning with celebrating Black History Month. From Feb. 11-16, A.L.A.N.A (Asian, Latino, African, Native American Affiars) is presenting a Leaders of Black History exhibit that highlights influential and important figures that contributed to Black and African Heritage.   

On February 26, Sodexo is offering students the chance to expand their horizons through a Soul Food Dinner. Sparky’s will feature a dinner of soul food that will allow students the opportunity to explore soul food cuisine. The winner of the Writing Centers Creative Work contest will also be announced that same day. Spilling into Mar. 1-2 is the Tunnel of Oppression at the Rogers Center for the Arts. This interactive art event will explore contemporary issues of oppression, privilege, and power.

Black History Month 2013 is being presented by A.L.A.N.A., Campus Life, M.P.B., Office of the Provost, Office of Residence Life, Office of Student Involvement, and the Writing Center. Support has also come from Conference & Events, Rodgers Center for the Arts, & Sodexo. Various events have allowed students to step forward, and learn from the past. All of these events will allow students the opportunity to expand their cultural horizons.