This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Merrimack chapter.

April Daugherty who is a senior at Merrimack, is very committed to balancing her school work with her extracurricular activities. April is from Wakefield, Rhode Island and is a communications major with a minor in women’s studies. In her spare time she loves to play Mario Cart and go on runs.

Daugherty plays on the field hockey team and was also involved in SAAC or Student Athlete Advisory Committee which works to improve the student athlete experience and also helps out the community. She likes the fact that not only do other athletes support you but also most of the school as a community comes out to support you. She adds that teachers, students, other athletes and even local people come and take an interest in the team. Daugherty says that being involved in SAAC has allowed her to make a difference in both the school and the community. Being able to give back is always a great and rewarding feeling to April.

Daugherty’s plan after she graduates is to attend graduate school for nursing. She explains that her ultimate goal is to become an ER nurse. A piece of advice she would like to share with the incoming freshmen would be to work hard and apply themselves their first semester. She states that GPA is extremely important and the best part of going to school at Merrimack is that she always finds someone to say hi to on her way to class. At Merrimack you really get to know a lot of people and it’s a comforting feeling to feel a part of the community.

Daugherty has  focused a lot on not only her academics and field hockey, but diving into the Merrimack community. Hopefully she can carry on the experiences and memories she has made at Merrimack with her throughout grad school as well as upcoming opportunities.

Michelle is a 20 year old from Stoneham, Massachusetts. She graduated in 2010 from Stoneham High School and is now a junior at Merrimack College. She is an English major and hopes to pursue a career in journalism in the near future. She also has a part-time job which she enjoys. When she is not in school or working, she likes to spend time with family and friends. She enjoys shopping, going to the movies, and going to the beach. She loves to write and would like to write for a magazine or newspaper someday.