Woman of the Week: Natalie Dormer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mercer chapter.

Natalie Dormer is known for playing some badass women. You may have noticed her in Mockingjay: Part 1 as Cressida, and you will be seeing her again in part two, but her most notable are that of Margaery Tyrell in HBO’s wildly popular Game of Thrones and Anne Boleyn on Showtime’s The Tudors

She brings such effortless sophistication to all of her interviews as well as grace. Her powerful presence has certainly caught the eye of her audience.

She’s an outspoken, strong woman in real-life too. She’s not afraid to point out how women are portrayed in television shows and movies.

Dormer sat down with the rest of the powerful women on Game of Thrones at the 2014 San Diego Comic Con “Women Who Kick Ass” panel. She brought up a fair point and said, “male writers either want to make you the angel or the whore, make her the witch or put her on the pedestal.”

It’s so refreshing now that we can have a show such as Game of Thrones which display complex, intriguing women, who are not just one-sided.

You can watch the full panel here.

She’s certainly not afraid to take risks, seeing as taking on the role of Cressida required Dormer to shave half of her head. While this act may seem daunting to most women, she told Glamour, “it’s fascinating how much of our sense of attractiveness and feminine identity is bound up in our hair, but in the Mockingjay novel, Cressida is described as having a shaved head with a vine tattoo, and I wanted to do right by the book.”

She’s said time and time again that she’s for feminism and what it stands for. Dormer told Daily Beast, “I’m a feminist in the true sense of the word. It’s about equality.”

It’s hard to believe someone with as much confidence as Dormer had been bullied when she was younger, and she’s not afraid to talk about it. In this interview with Queen Latifah, she goes into more detail about her struggle and how she overcame them when she found acting.

Here are some more amazing, empowering quotes she’s said. Natalie Dormer is certainly an inspiration and a woman that young girls can look up to.  

“It really is crazy that the word “feminist” can have negative connotations in 2014. It upsets me that the younger generations of women think it’s a dirty word, and associate it with a kind of militantism or a sense of female superiority. It’s not. It just means liberation, and equality.” –from Daily Beast

“I’m glad that cinema is catching up to what television has known for a while: that three-dimensional, complex women get an audience engaged as much as the men.” – from Daily Beast

“Perfect is very boring, and if you happen to have a different look, that’s a celebration of human nature, I think. If we were all symmetrical and perfect, life would be very dull.” – from New York Post

“I know I’m not a conventional beauty. You can read a lot of painful things on the Internet, which criticize you aesthetically – but as far as I’m concerned, that’s not what an actress is.” – from Daily Mail

Sources:

The Daily Beast

Source 2

New York Post

Daily Mail

Cover Photo

Jaclyn Ramkissoon is an aspiring journalist. Her hobbies include not being tall enough to reach things, losing socks in the wash, petting stray dogs, and being able to quote Back To The Future on command. She's 90 lbs of pure pop-punk.