Woman of the Week: Anne Hathaway

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mercer chapter.

You fell for her dorkiness in The Princess Diaries, cried with her in Les Misérables, and envied her in The Devil Wears Prada. She has held quite a few iconic roles in many popular movies like playing Cat Woman in the newest Batman movie and the White Queen in Alice in Wonderland. She is seen as graceful, poised, and humble, but many see a different side of our Anne.

The news has lately been filled with Hathahaters who see Anne as a generic “theater kid” who is blinded by her abnormally large ego. They claim she is already dusting off a space on her mantel for her next Oscar award. Anne Hathaway is compared to Lea Michele, who portrays the vibrant character of Rachel on TV’s comedic show Glee. Lea is said to portray her true personality through the show, and as those of you who watch know, her character can be quite annoying.

Comparing Her Highness Anne with an entitled TV show character is a disgrace! Anne Hathaway is not a perfect person; everyone messes up. She has tripped, gotten less-known roles, dated crazies, and been a bad host at the Oscars, but she keeps coming back gracefully. Everyone has critics, but these haters have no right to be cruel to Anne. It is like they assume she has no feelings.

Anne is known to be heavily involved in many charities like The Creative Coalition, The Step Up Women’s Network, St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital, The Human Rights Campaign, and others. She is also known to be very loud-spoken about the LGBTQ community. She even admits to leaving her family religion due to the fact that it did not support her brother being gay. You haters keep on hating, because all I’m seeing is selflessness from this lady.

All the unmerited bad media is affecting her career. She mentioned in an article about how some directors admit that she is perfect for a specific role but turn her away due to all of this “baggage.” She points out that many people criticize her for having no sex appeal, to which she responds, “I’m a lot of things. Just because I don’t wear my sexiness overtly doesn’t mean that I can’t become that girl for a role. That’s what I do; I become things. Use your imagination, buddy.” You can read the whole article here [https://uk.yahoo.com/movies/anne-hathaway-feels-punched-in-the-gut-by-in….

Anne’s actress mother inspired her along with Audrey Hepburn and Judy Garland to become involved in theater and acting. She was involved in plays all throughout school before she landed a spot in the TV show Get Real. From there, she began showing up in movies and soundtracks with her lovely soprano voice. She even sang a song with Jesse McCartney for her movie Ella Enchanted (fangirling!).

Overall, these critics of Anne Hathaway are being overly judgmental and basing their thoughts about Anne on outtakes and other rumors. My advice is this: Keep your head up, Princess of Genovia. These peasants can never bring you to their level.

Make sure to watch out for Anne in Rio 2 and Alice in Wonderland: Looking Through the Glass in years to come!