books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

Need a Study Break? These Websites Can Help.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mercer chapter.

The semester is more than halfway over and by now, like most students, you’re probably losing your drive. It’s important to take breaks during study time or when you’re writing that paper to ensure your brain stays fresh and alert. Here are a few websites that can help you digress, but only for a moment, because beyond that is a little something we call procrastination.

Large Networks

Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram can get a little monotonous after a while of checking them constantly. At some point, you need a little variety in the social media you keep up with.

Tumblr is perfect for that. Although it’s well known, many people don’t use it. There are endless blogs you can follow to fit any of your fancies, obsessions, and fandoms.  You can also easily talk to people people from around the world who are into the same weird, obscure, guilty pleasure-worthy stuff you’re into. But take heed, young ones. Remember to not fall too far into the world of Tumblr on your study break. Also, you should definitely follow the Her Campus – Mercer blog.

Youtube provides a wide variety of any entertainment you could possibly think of.  And you can basically learn anything from the countless tutorial videos out there.

Recommended Youtubers:

ThatcherJoe – Get your daily dose of comedy and prank videos from this adorable Brit. He also does fantastic impressions.

Anna Akana – Need something a little more motivating? Anna Akana makes amazing self-help and confidence-boosting videos, as well as great short films.

Zoella – If you ever need fashion or beauty inspiration, she’s the place to go. With a wide array of makeup tutorials and styling videos, you can learn everything about today’s latest trends.

Bertie Gilbert Films – This astonishingly young Youtuber has been producing his very own thought-provoking short films, all at the age of 17. His level of production is very high, and his films are worth checking out if you need a slightly longer study break. You may recognize him as Scorpius Malfoy, son of Draco in the last Harry Potter film. 

KurtHugoSchneider – This collaborative channel features talented artists with heart-melting voices that are sure to make you see your favorite Top 40 hit in a totally different light.

News

I personally struggle with staying up to date with the news and what’s happening in the world, and I’ve come to realize getting news from Facebook, as most people do, may not be the best option. Reading a few articles off of these websites and news organizations have helped me keep track of events taking place all over the world. It’s becoming more important to stay up to date with things like this, and your study break is an excellent opportunity to do so.

BBC is ideal if you want to stay up to date with international news.

If you want more to learn more about politics, try the Huffington Post. It also has more opinionated pieces and articles, and offers a more blog-type feel.

If you don’t have the motivation to read an article, you can always listen to one on NPR.

This nifty little website allows you to see the headlines in various major countries. You can pick and choose what country you would like to see as well as what category of news you want to see the headlines for, whether it be sports, politics, business, or science.

Random

This website allows you to paint like Jackson Pollock by virtually splattering your screen with colorful paints. Just simply move your mouse on the white space, and click when you want to change the color. 

Wattpad a great website for up and coming writers to get their work out there. And lucky for you, their work is open for you to read! Several books on this website have moved on to actually be published. So who knows, you might be reading stories from the next John Green. Don’t be afraid to post some of your own writing as well.

This creepy, strange, but artistically awesome website takes you on an adventure. I know what I’m saying is very vague, but it’s just something you have to experience for yourself. This website requires that your webcam be activated.

Spend time here creating and drawing beautiful galaxies of your own.

Learn just how big and how small the universe really is, and where humans fit into the scheme of things on this website. Your mind will be blown.

Create beautiful and ethereal sounding music with little amoebas. . . sounds strange, but trust me on this one.

Educational

Learn just about anything on Khan Academy and earn badges for it. It’s especially helpful if you need to brush up on some subjects and skills you learned in high school but forgot, and are now starting to realize you need them again.

Take endless quizzes on Sporcle, on every possible topic you can think of. Test your knowledge but be forewarned, it’s quite addicting.                                        

Learn about everything about drugs, spirituality, and religion on this website. All of the information provided is very interesting and will answer all of the questions your curious mind comes up with.

Music

Need a playlist to fit a specific mood? 8tracks helps you create them, and you’re free to browse playlists other people have made.

Remember to never stretch yourself too thin as the semester wears on. Sometimes a little R&R with your best friend, the Internet, is all you need to get through the day.

Jaclyn Ramkissoon is an aspiring journalist. Her hobbies include not being tall enough to reach things, losing socks in the wash, petting stray dogs, and being able to quote Back To The Future on command. She's 90 lbs of pure pop-punk.