Have You Seen the Top 3 Movies of 2015?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mercer chapter.

Have You Seen the Top 3 Movies of 2015?

Each New Year comes with a new slate of exciting movies opening in theaters but this past January, we didn’t see a lot of great movies come out in cinemas. However, there were three that really struck stuck out to the audience and critics. Two were released last month and one came out last year, and but is still playing strong. Here are their short reviews and trailers. Keep in mind, these are solely my opinions and not of the critics or the audience.

1)    American Sniper- When you put a powerful director like Clint Eastwood and a talented actor like Bradley Cooper, you are bound to get one great movie. In this tense biopic, the heavily bearded and bulked-up Bradley Cooper does a great job portraying Chris Kyle, legendary Navy Seal sniper. This movie is definitely engaging and gripping. The performances are great, the action scenes are intense, and the direction is on point. However, it could have been far more entertaining had there been more suspenseful sequences. Overall, the movie has 7.6 rating on IMDB and a 72% fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes. American Sniper is already nominated for the Oscars and I highly recommend watching it.

2)    Selma- This movie is cinematic perfection from start to finish. The story is very well written, the performances are superb, the direction is great, and the film is very well polished. The movie is about the historic marches to secure voting rights for African-Americans, led by Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. The movie, however, is NOT about Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. While he was obviously a central figure, the film is about the civil rights marches in Selma that later changed America. The film highlights the fact that only 50 years ago, we’re still facing similar issues in our society today. The film also highlights that similar issues are still prevalent today. Selma is definitely a must-watch. It has a 99% fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes! 

3)    The Imitation Game

This film is a historic thriller based on Alan Turing (played by Benedict Cumberbatch), the man who helped to decode Enigma, the infamous Nazi Code during World War II. The film, based loosely on Turing’s biography, focuses on his professional life as a decoding genius, and also on his personal life as a homosexual man in 20th century Britain. Benedict Cumberbatch’s performance is fabulous, and he was featured in the top 10 performances of last year. Many film analysts and movie buffs are even predicting that this film will win the Academy Award for Best Picture. After watching this movie, you might agree. It currently has a 8.2/10 rating on IMDB and 90% fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes.