Black Herstory Month: Michelle Obama, FLOTUS Herself

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mercer chapter.

Without a doubt, Michelle Obama, is one of the most watched, criticized and powerful women in the world… Well maybe she’s tied with Beyoncé, but I digress. Michelle Obama is one of the most dynamic First Ladies of the United States (FLOTUS). She is a dedicated mother and wife, advocate for many different ideals, and all-around good person. Michelle Obama makes you feel like she could be your mom, your teacher, or your friend. 

Starting from humble beginnings on the Southside of Chicago, Mrs. Obama has come a long way to become the woman we know her as today. She had a stay-at-home mother who took care of Michelle and her older brother, and her father worked for the Chicago Water Department. Obama (then Robinson), went to Chicago public schools, which, today have a bad reputation. She proved that this stereotype could be overcome. Her teachers did not encourage her; instead they told Robinson that she would not be able to go to an Ivy League School. Oh, how wrong they were. 

Michelle went on to attend Princeton University for her undergraduate degree. She studied Sociology and African-American Studies. She then went on to attend Harvard Law to get her Juris doctorate. She was heavily involved on campus, which explains why she continues to be so active in her role as FLOTUS. 

After law school, Michelle went on to the workforce. She worked for Sidley & Austin, a law firm in Chicago. This is where she met future president Barack Obama and served as his mentor. She was already working there, and he came in as an intern. She showed him the ropes and the two began to date. It just goes to show that every successful man has a successful woman by his side. He went off to Harvard Law, and they stayed together while he was in school. The two were married in 1992. 

Michelle Obama did lots of work for her community in Chicago. She served as an assistant to the mayor of Chicago and as a director of community affairs for the University of Chicago Hospitals. Additionally, she acted as Associate Dean of Student Services at the University of Chicago. During her time there, she increased student volunteerism rates.

In 1998, Obama gave birth to oldest daughter Malia Obama, followed three years later by sister, Natasha (Sasha). This gave Michelle her most rewarding job: mother. She always says it first when people ask what she does. She does everything she can to make her daughters’ times in the White House as close to normalcy as she can. She makes them do chores, make their beds, and the girls are not allowed to watch television during the school week. She and the president also have dinner with the daughters every night they can, to retain those family values they both hold dear. 

In 2010, First Lady Obama launched a campaign to help fight the childhood obesity epidemic called “Let’s Move!” And she does just that by not sitting idly by and just directing the program, she gets out and talks to the public. She exercises with the children. She is making efforts to educate the people about what can be done to help fight the problem of obesity in America. 

She, along with Second Lady, Dr. Jill Biden, are also in charge of “Joining Forces,” a program to help give military and their families the support they need and deserve. Joining Forces also help raise awareness for the issues felt by military families.

As First Lady, Obama has also received varying feedback on some of her choices. She is often in the media for her trendy, yet affordable clothing choices. The things that she wears sells out online and in stores within hours. She has also received some negative feedback for the way she speaks her mind. She doesn’t censor herself. Michelle Obama says what she wants. She also got attention for what is now called “Selfie-Gate.” She has been said to suffer from “resting-bitch-face,” as do many of us. The haters have to find some reason to talk about Obama, but she does not let it get to her. 

Michelle Obama is a go-getter. She makes a plan and gets stuff done. She is a hard-worker, mother, advocate for many causes, a leader, a wife.  She represents what many American women what to be. 

Sources:

http://www.whitehouse.gov/administration/first-lady-michelle-obama

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2008/03/10/080310fa_fact_collins?currentPage=1

http://www.literallydarling.com/blog/2014/02/19/michelle-obama-woman-crush-wednesday/

http://www.firstladies.org/biographies/firstladies.aspx?biography=45

Desirrae is a small-town girl with dreams of making it in the big city... Well not really. She is a freshman who decided she needed to write more than she needed almost anything else. She is a journalism major who fantasizes about being as important as Barbara Walters someday. When she isn't writing, Desirrae can be found reading, watching Netflix, spending time with her friends at school, or talking to her families from home... Or sleeping. Probably sleeping.