Album Review: Reflection – Fifth Harmony

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mercer chapter.

Girl groups and boy bands are making a come back. Yes, we’re all still attached to our beloved Spice Girls, Backstreet Boys, NSYNC, Destiny’s Child, TLC… (I could go on for forever), and there’s nothing that could ever replace them. But this new generation is sassier than ever, and you won’t meet any one group sassier than Fifth Harmony.

Like One Direction, Fifth Harmony got their start on X Factor, and were formed as a group on the show. They had mature vocals for their young ages (only about 14 or 15), and have grown so much more since then.

Reflection packs punchy, hard beats that are completely unexpected, based off of their debut EP, Better Together, released in 2013. They’ve taken on a more R&B, hip-hop style of pop. Their image has changed from innocent girls to independent women. Collaborations on the album include rap veterans Tyga and Kid Ink, which is impressive for a first album.

Since the release, they’ve finished their first headlining tour, which ended on Mar. 27 in Philadelphia. Opening acts included Jasmine V, Jacob Whitesides, and Mahogany Lox.

Just give them a chance, and you won’t regret it.

Release date: February 3, 2015

Singles: “Bo$$”, “Sledgehammer”, “Worth It”     

Highlights: “Bo$$”, “Like Mariah”, “Reflection”, “We Know”

Overall Rating: 9/10

A theme of women empowerment is apparent throughout the album. These songs will leave you feeling great about yourself, and you don’t even have to be female for it to work. The whole vibe surrounding Fifth Harmony is pure positivity, and knowing that you are, indeed, “Worth It”. It’s a great message to send to the world, and especially to their younger fan base.

Every single one of these songs is guaranteed to make you dance. That’s for sure. You’ll be singing these tunes into your hairbrush and dancing in the mirror with just your underwear on in no time.

“Top Down” is a great opening to the album, and introduces Fifth Harmony and who they are. Yes, I would like to cruise with you with the top down. The punchy baseline is infectious.  

“Bo$$” is a fun song, dripping of confidence. The witty and sometimes silly lyrics reference women-in-power Michelle Obama and Oprah. The hook is seriously catchy. And it sounds amazing performed acoustically.

“Sledgehammer” is the album’s only anthem, and while the concept is a little strange to me, it carries its own. Not the best song, but not weak by a long shot.

“Worth It” is definitely a club-banger, and Kid Ink’s influence is definitely heard with a matching baseline/synth combination. It also includes a fun, saucy horn riff that even Jason Derulo would approve of.  

You’ll be finding the influences of your favorite artists sneakily worked into some songs. “This Is How We Roll” has a beat that is closely related to Britney Spears and will.i.am’s “Scream and Shout”. “Everlasting Love” is remiscent of Ariana Grande’s debut album, Yours Truly. And “We Know” is definitely a tribute to Destiny’s Child’s “Bills, Bills, Bills” or TLC’s “No Scrubs”.

“Like Mariah” is definitely the song where each girl is able to showcase her own vocal ability, and they do not disappoint. I mean, with a song named “Like Mariah”, you kind of have to go for those high notes. Oh, and Tyga is there too.

“Them Girls Be Like” has an different beat, and it changes throughout the song, which makes it an interesting listen. The matching baseline/synth combination is back in “Reflection”, another club-banger. This song is the epitome of having confidence in yourself. Just listen to the lyrics; they’ll have you laughing.

“Suga Mama” is much like “Everlasting Love” in sound, pulling out that piano at the most opportune of times. The lyrics are sickly-sweet.

It’s hard to expect something so good to come out of a group that was pre-formed by a television show, but it can happen. You just got to keep an open mind. This up beat, solid album is proof of that. What’s the worst that could happen? 

Jaclyn Ramkissoon is an aspiring journalist. Her hobbies include not being tall enough to reach things, losing socks in the wash, petting stray dogs, and being able to quote Back To The Future on command. She's 90 lbs of pure pop-punk.