7 Adventures in 7 Days: A Spring Break Guide

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mercer chapter.

That magical time is upon us again…Spring Break! After enduring stressful weeks filled with tests, papers, and mundane reading assignments, we hard-working college students get the break we deserve (so long as professors don’t go overboard on assignments). However, while having an entire week’s worth of glorious relaxation time is wonderful, it’s hard to just sit around for seven days and do nothing. After going nonstop for so long, it’s understandable to get a little bored. Hopefully this guide will provide you with fun ideas to keep boredom at bay and to get the most out of your Spring Break (at a reasonable price, of course).

Day One: RELAX!

Seriously, stay in your pajamas and have a relaxing day lounging at home. Watch TV (who doesn’t love a marathon of Maury and Jerry Springer), read for pleasure, spend mindless hours on the internet, or whatever! You can start on some laundry (or politely ask your parents to do it for you) or, if you’re really ambitious, get ahead on homework. Order in some pizza, take a bubble bath, and explore the possibilities of nail art (not at the same time, of course). If possible, just stay home all day and embrace the couch potato inside yourself.

Day Two: A Day on the Town

Most college students can’t find the time to go home very often, so spend a day revisiting some of your favorite places from your hometown. Visit the local park, start on your summer tan at the public pool, eat at local restaurants, or take a trip to the nearest mall or boutique stores. Get together with old friends or bring your family along and immerse yourself in memories.

Day Three: Baking/Cooking

Take full advantage of your parent’s kitchen or break out your Easy-Bake Oven and create some delicious treats or sensational meals.  Only a small percentage of students on campus have access to a full kitchen, so Spring Break gives you the perfect opportunity to bake to your heart’s content. Try new recipes or make that meal you’ve been dying to have. Or, you can pack meals to take back to campus with you for days when the cafeteria is less than appetizing. For some food ideas, visit HerCampus-Mercer on pinterest.

Day Four: Beach Trip

No Spring Break would be complete without a cliché visit to the beach. Staying at the beach can be ridiculously expensive (I would suggest camping out on the beach to save money, but that’s illegal…), but you can still visit the beach for a day and save money. Car pool with your friends to be ecofriendly and split the costs of gas, pack a picnic lunch, and bring a cooler for drinks to have an inexpensive beach trip. You don’t need to spend an entire week at the beach to have fun, plus you have less of a chance of getting ridiculously sunburnt.

Day Five: Crafting

Take advantage of your time and get in touch with your creative side! Pick out some projects you’ve been dying to do and have a fun day crafting (invite your friends if they’re into that sort of thing). If you don’t have any crafts in mind, visit our pinterest crafts page . Afterwards, post your awesome crafts on our facebook wall. We would love to see what you made!

Day Six: Movie Marathon

Break out the popcorn and invite over some friends for a good old- or fashioned day of movie watching! Select a favorite movie series (Harry Potter, Chronicles of Narnia, Batman (The Dark Knight) etc.) or a specific genre (horror, musical, cheesy romantic comedy, etc.). You could chose a certain style (Disney/Pixar, John Hughes’ classic 80s awesomeness, Tyler Perry’s Madea) or finally get around to watching all those blockbusters that people can’t believe you’ve never seen (Titanic, Inception, Indiana Jones, etc.). Seriously, the possibilities are endless.  If you don’t have a great movie selection to choose from and Netflix just isn’t doing it for you, Red Box movie rentals are only a dollar per movie.

Day Seven: Relax (again!)

To prepare yourself for the stress to come, soak up all the relaxation time you can. Spend the day hanging out with your family and enjoying the little things you love about being at home. Be slightly productive and pack your stuff throughout the day (at a leisurely pace, of course).  You might also want to consider doing all that homework you may or may not have gotten around to before…or just save it for the next day. Just enjoy your last day of Spring Break and try to get back in the college frame of mind. And remember, summer is only seven weeks away!

Katie is a sophomore studying English Literature and Anthropology at Mercer University. When not reading for her classes, she is still reading for pleasure! Katie is a major bookworm whose dream in life is to simply read all day (but, unfortunately, being a well-rounded reader doesn't pay the bills) or be a manatee princess...which isn't very realistic either. Other than books and manatees, Katie has a passion for song, piano, and nature. You can often catch her gazing at the clouds or looking up at tree branches. "The stars gleam, the poets dream..." -Jonathan Larson