21st Century Cinderella

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mercer chapter.

Every girl dreams of being Cinderella where one day Prince Charming will sweep her off her feet and take her to his mighty castle. Most girls know and have come to terms with the fact that this will remain a dream. But for one lucky girl, this popular dream became reality. Her name is Kate Middleton, also known as Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge. 

Kate is best known as the “commoner” that met Prince William, fell in love, and got married. All around, she is a true role model to all girls and women around the world.  Kate grew up just like any other child. Her parents, hard-working people that crafted their own success through perseverance, raised her as well as possible. She attended school and ultimately went on to further her education in Art History at University of Saint Andrews. While she was in school attending Marlborough College, she met Prince William and soon after began dating. Throughout the years and turmoil that her relationship had brought, Kate stayed true to herself and kept a good moral standing and character. As she was thrown into the media spotlight, she had to balance her personal life, as well as appear as England’s current icon.

Kate frequently worked with and for charities. For example, when she and Prince William got married, she asked anyone who would have liked to give them a wedding gift to direct their funds toward a group of charities instead.

Her everyday life is not much different than the average person’s day. She starts out with a healthy breakfast, and spends time with her family and the royal puppy, Lupo. She occasionally reads reports from charities. As the afternoon rolls around, the princess fulfills her public engagements and obligations, including taking care of reports, meetings, and fundraisers with the charities that she is involved in. In the evening, Kate comes back to family affairs and spends time with Will or her sister Pippa whenever possible.

Her forte however is her fashion style, and has been frequently featured as “best dressed”.  She always looks perfect, and her wardrobe choices are always stunning. No matter where she is, she turns heads (and not in a bad way).  People’s magazine featured her as best dressed in 2007 and 2010 and held the number one spot on Vanity Fair’s best dressed from 2010 until 2013.

On top of juggling all of her responsibilities, on July 22, 2013, Kate had her first child, a baby boy, George Alexander Louis. Motherhood is a challenge for anyone, but she has managed to keep her head leveled and prioritize her life and responsibilities as necessary. 

All around, Kate is a strong woman with ambition and will to change the world and represent herself in the best way possible. Her story, actions, and appearances are a positive influence for women and girls not only in England, but across all countries and continents.