This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mercer chapter.

How are your New Year’s resolutions going? It’s been almost four weeks now, but a University of Scranton study (http://www.statisticbrain.com/new-years-resolution-statistics/) shows that only 8% of people who make New Year’s Resolutions actually stick to them. And the number one resolution made? Weight loss. So, I’m going to take it upon myself to share some simple rules to help with weight loss.

http://infographicaday.com/wp-content/uploads/The-Skinny-Rules.jpg

The Skinny Rules by Bob Harper is designed to help people achieve their weight-loss goals. Many people recognize Bob Harper from the television series The Biggest Loser, where many people from all over the world come together to be trained to eat healthier and work out harder. In the earlier seasons, Bob Harper and Jillian Michaels were the two trainers.

http://media4.s-nbcnews.com/j/TODAY/Sections/Today%20Books/BOOKS%202012/5%20May%202012/Cover.%20THE%20SKINNY%20RULES.%20Bob%20Harper.grid-4×2.jpg

In the book, Bob Harper along with Greg Critser list 20 different rules to abide by for getting thin. While I am not going to explain every one of these (because you should totally buy the book), I will highlight a few that I think are very important. Many of the rules are just common sense, like Rule 13: Get Rid of Fast Foods and Fried Foods. Everyone knows that fast food is not healthy food, but it is extremely hard to implement this rule especially for people with a busy lifestyle. Fast food may not be healthy, but it is convenient. If you MUST eat fast food, here are a few tips:

1. Order grilled chicken rather than fried. If it’s a sandwich, don’t order with any sauce or mayonnaise. Also, order the sandwich on a wheat bun rather than white bread or bread with cheese melted on top.

2. Look for greens. Veggies = good. Salads are usually a safe way to eat out.

3. Yogurt is good for calcium and fruits. Just watch out: it can be high in sugars.

Rule 14: Eat a Real Breakfast. Well duh, our mothers have told us this since day one! Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. It gives our metabolisms a jumpstart with energy to avoid the midday slump.

Rule 2: Don’t Drink Your Calories. This rule is of uber importance because we can easily pick up a soda and think nothing of it. But soda, sweet tea, and even juice can be very high in sugars. Soft drinks (even diet ones) are linked to higher chances of stroke, cancer, kidney disease, and high blood pressure. There have been plenty of studies about the healthiness or unhealthiness of soft drinks. Some studies show that diet sodas are more harmful than regular soda. Some studies suggest that soda poses no health risks. But honestly, it is easy to notice that carbonated drinks are not healthy for you. Avoid them.

Rule 10: No More Added Sweeteners, Including Artificial Ones: Sooooo, we all love sugar right? Chocolate, cookies, pie, cakes, and more. But we can easily forget a simple fact when we’re downing cupcake after cupcakes: Sugar. Is. Addictive. Avoid adding it to what you’re cooking.

Well, I hope these tips have helped, but you can always purchase the book by Bob Harper. Good luck on your resolutions!